Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 0cx000000e after BIOS/Graphics driver update

HP Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Earlier today I downloaded and installed this BIOS and this Graphics Driver to my HP Envy 15 notebook, then restarted, where I got the message "Recovery: Your PC needs to be repaired. Error code: 0cx000000e".

I tried to update to this BIOS and this  Graphics Driver. My system is Windows 8.1, my internet connection is wireless, and my prouduct number is G0T55AV. My processor is Intel Core i7.

I can't boot into safe mode.

What I've tried to fix this is: 

• I downloaded the Windows 8.1 ISO onto a USB drive and used it to get into system repair
  • Choosing the "Refresh your PC" option leads to the prompt  "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."
  • Under Advanced Options, using Startup Repair leads to the prompt "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC"
  • System Restore tells me "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System Restore", and I'm totally sure what that means.
  • In the command prompt I ran "chkdsk C:" several times, which always runs very quickly and finds no problems, sfc /scannow,  which leads to "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation", as well as bootrec /fixMbr -> bootrec /fixboot and bootec /RebuildBcd (total identified windows installations: 0) which I don't think did anything
  • I updated the BIOS again from a separate usb drive, using this tutorial, this time sucessfully from F.07 to F.43. Nothing changed. 

I've been searching for a long time, and I've tried a lot more than what I've written, but that's what I can remember that I've done. Does anyone have any solutions?

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
46273 40534 4386 11286
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You can use the diskpart command to see the disk's status and volume type even while it is still in the notebook.

Boot to the USB Windows 8.1 flashdrive again.

This time go to advanced options and select a command prompt.

Type in Diskpart and press enter. when diskpart is up, you can type in list disk , and press enter to see what a BIOS and OS sees. 

Now type in select disk 0.

Next type in detail disk and press enter.

Now you will see plenty of information about the disk and its partitions including whether or not it is healthy.

" bootrec /fixMbr -> bootrec /fixboot and bootec /RebuildBcd (total identified windows installations: 0) which I don't think did anything" 

That was probably not such a good idea. Your notebook's hard disk is likely to be a GPT type, not MBR. There is a vast difference. If you ran the fixmbr command you may have wiped out the BCD store.

Updating the BIOS while having problems booting to an operating system is never a good idea. Worry about the firmware that controls the hardware only after the software is in good shape. 

You are at a point where it may be a good idea to remove the hard disk and chek it to see if there is still data on it.

You can use a desktop PC and either a USB hard disk enclosure or  connect to an available SATA port.  

Power on the PC and use Windows Explorer to see if the drive is recognized as being present.

If it is, great. Copy all important data to an external storage media.

If it is not, you have your answer and it is time to reinstall the OS.

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Salsas Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you! Diskpart says the partition is healthy. How would you recommend reinstalling the OS? When I try to reinstall Windows 8.1 from the flash drive I'm told "The computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart the computer so that Windows starts normally." But I can't do that.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46273 40534 4386 11286
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I suggest that you download the  HP PC Hardware Diagnostics 3-in-1 USB Key sofware and install it to a usb flashdrive.  

The  HP PC Hardware Diagnostics 3-in-1 USB Key sofware softPAQ is at the following URL.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76501-77000/sp76597.exe

Plug the USB 3-in-one flashdrive you have created into a port on yournotebook. Boot to it  and run the complete hard drive test. 

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation