Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, my HP notebook  does not detect the hard drive. This happened, When i accidently shut it down while it was erasing data from the hdd and when I did  the Hard Disk diagnostics check it said smart check  and short dst aren't installed . It also gives an error on a black screen saying (please install an operating system on your hard disk), (Boot device not found) and error(3fo). 

I would appreciate if someone is able to help me.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

This usually indicates that the Hard Drive has failed.

If you have very important data on the drive you should probably remove the drive and attach to different PC to see if you can recover files or take to a repair shop.

What is the exact model of your Elitebook?

There are many out there.

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support

You can also create a bootable USB drive with Windows on it and see if it sees the drive and can fix startup or reinstall the OS on the drive. If the drive is not seen, you will most likely need to replace the drive and reinstall the OS. Maybe upgrade to an SSD if it does not have one.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up fro thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

I can not see the hard drive while installing a new operating system on hard drive. I think the hard drive has got corrupted. What should I do now ?

HP Recommended

You will most likely need to replace the drive and reinstall the OS.

If you need a guide let us know the model of Elitebook you have.

If the notebook is under warranty you should contact HP support directly.

Hope it helps,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.