Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 250 G2 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I'm trying to do a clean Windows 8.1 64-bit after a crash but I get Error code 0xc0000225, using HP in-built recovery utility. Windows Setup also says: Windows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer. Kindly help. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If your computer originally came with Windows preinstalled by HP (as it should be) - it would be best to use the HP Recovery Media which will restore Windows, apps and everything to factory default partition. It will use your machine's licence for Windows and should automatically active Windows post installation.

If you use Windows 8.1 installation media, you may need a Win license post installation (depening on the type of Windows used).

- If you want to use the original Windows that came preinstalled, please obtain HP Recovery media as described above

- If you will use the Windows 8.1 installation disc and install Windows from it using your licence, follow this procedure:

1. Boot from the Windows DVD
2. Click Install Now
3. At the setup screen, click Custom (Advanced)
4. Click Drive Options
5. Select the partition(s) you want to format
6. Click Format - this will delete EVERYTHING on that partition - format and delete all partitions
7. Create a new partition and select a partition to install Windows on.
8. Continue with install.

If the Windows install disk doesn’t work for the above you can do the following to reformat your drive:
1. Download a Gparted ISO from here:
http://gparted.org/livecd.php

2. Burn the ISO to a CD or DVD
2. Boot from the Gparted CD/DVD disk.
3. Use Gparted to delete all partitions on the hard drive.
4. Under “Device” choose Create Partition Table to make a new partition table.
5. Create a NTFS partition (or you could wait and create a partition when installing Windows).

Eventually, boot from the Windows install disk and install Windows.

Let me know if this works for you

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome ! 🙂

Let's test your hardware for issues.

Please, turn off your computer. Start it again by using the power-on button and

as soon as you do it, keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) - you will enter HP startup menu similar to this one:

Choose/Press F2 and follow the on-screen instructions to perform System test >>> QUICK test. More information can be found here

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

>> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

It should check these components:

Battery check
    Processor check
    System board check
    Hard drive SMART check
    Hard drive short DST check
    Memory quick check

Let me know the results of the test.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
Thanks a lot for your help.

Memory test completed successfully and was ok. Hard drive test only says: Starting Hard Drive Check. It has remained that way for hours. No movement.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I may be hardware failure - hard disk issue.

Can you restart the computer and try again with the test ?

Can you try to reseat the HDD as described here - follow steps 3 and 4:

>> http://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c01443463

Let me know if this works and if yes, what were the results.

HP Recommended
All tests completed successfully and hard drive is reseated. But I now have to return to the clean Windows reinstall, having already removed the original Windows partition earlier.
HP Recommended

So, you mean the HDD test passed without errors. If not, please clarify.

If the built-in recovery partition procedure does not work, consider purchasing recovery media for your computer.

You can get one from here >> http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-25173-windows-81-pro-64bit-recovery-kit-754666-002-for-hpcompaq-mo...

For details, you can contact them at 1.800.496.6127

Once you receive the recovery media, you can boot from it this way and complete the recovery:

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on 

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, keep hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Insert the recovery media you received and press F9 for Boot device options

4. Select to boot from the recovery media

5. Follow the on-screen instructions.  Here is video example:

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC3sUc3lr3E

If you are unable to boot from the media, ensure Secure boot is disabled and Legacy mode is enabled.... and try again. Details >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

Hope this helps. Provide feedback and let me know how this goes.

HP Recommended
Yes, both the quick and extensive HDD tests passed without errors. I also got as far as successfully booting with Windows 8 installation DVD and I can see both the recovery partition (14.2GB) and the unpartitioned space from the deleted Windows partition (451.1GB) on the Setup GUI.
But setup won't proceed further, with the message: Windows can't be installed on this drive. The selected disk is of the GPT partition type.
The RECOVERY partition is marked 'system'. Setup also couldn't create a new partition from the unallocated space, returning Error: 0x843aa6e0.
HP Recommended

If your computer originally came with Windows preinstalled by HP (as it should be) - it would be best to use the HP Recovery Media which will restore Windows, apps and everything to factory default partition. It will use your machine's licence for Windows and should automatically active Windows post installation.

If you use Windows 8.1 installation media, you may need a Win license post installation (depening on the type of Windows used).

- If you want to use the original Windows that came preinstalled, please obtain HP Recovery media as described above

- If you will use the Windows 8.1 installation disc and install Windows from it using your licence, follow this procedure:

1. Boot from the Windows DVD
2. Click Install Now
3. At the setup screen, click Custom (Advanced)
4. Click Drive Options
5. Select the partition(s) you want to format
6. Click Format - this will delete EVERYTHING on that partition - format and delete all partitions
7. Create a new partition and select a partition to install Windows on.
8. Continue with install.

If the Windows install disk doesn’t work for the above you can do the following to reformat your drive:
1. Download a Gparted ISO from here:
http://gparted.org/livecd.php

2. Burn the ISO to a CD or DVD
2. Boot from the Gparted CD/DVD disk.
3. Use Gparted to delete all partitions on the hard drive.
4. Under “Device” choose Create Partition Table to make a new partition table.
5. Create a NTFS partition (or you could wait and create a partition when installing Windows).

Eventually, boot from the Windows install disk and install Windows.

Let me know if this works for you

HP Recommended
Dear Distinguished Professor, you belong in the world of Stars!

The solution you gave was spot-on and I'm up and running now with Windows 8.1.

With people like you around, the world certainly goes round. Kudos!
HP Recommended

You are most welcome ! I'm glad it is fine now. 🙂  Thank you very much for the positive feedback - it really means a lot to me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.