Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 14-ce 3xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I use the 'shut down' power button to turn off my recently purchased laptop. Every time I want to switch it back on it's out of battery. How should I turn it off then? 'Sleep'? It doesn't make sense. Can anyone explain please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Z5u
Thank you for posting back.

The average laptop battery is good for around 400 recharges cycles. After that, it starts to lose its capacity to hold a charge. This is about one and a half to three years of battery life for the average user. As the rechargeable battery begins to fail, the running time of the battery begins to decline.

Learn how to get the most service and life from your HP notebook battery by following these industry-wide suggested best practices.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01297640 ( refer to Battery care practices ) 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Z5u
Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help. Windows includes a normal shut down for faster startup times, or perform a full shut down for long term storage, component upgrades, or when diagnosing issues.

• Normal shut down: Use this option under normal operating conditions. This closes open programs, logs you out, and turns the computer off. By default, fast startup mode is enabled with this option. A hibernation file is saved before shutting down so the computer starts up faster next time you turn it on.

To perform a normal shut down, click the Windows icon  , click Power, and then click Shut down.

• Full shut down: Use this option for long term storage or shipping, when performing hardware upgrades, when opening the BIOS Setup Utility, or to change UEFI settings and run tests.

To perform a full shut down, click the Windows icon, click Power, press and hold the Shift key, and then click Shut down.

• Restart: Use this option after installing software that requires a system restart, such as new drivers, Windows updates, and virus scanning software.

To perform a reset, click the Windows icon, click Power, and then click Restart.

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Echo_Lake, 

Thank you for your reply. I use it the way you described it here thank you. Does the quick start up  eat the battery then? Or is this the way new generation laptops work now? Let's say battery is at 40% when I turn it off with normal shut down. Two days later I want to use it but I can't turn it on as the battery is 0%. Is it normal? Or is there a fault with the battery? I'm only asking this because I'm used to very old laptops and they used to stay more or less on the same battery level when I turned them back on after a normal shut down.

Thank you again. 

HP Recommended

@Z5u
Thank you for posting back.

The average laptop battery is good for around 400 recharges cycles. After that, it starts to lose its capacity to hold a charge. This is about one and a half to three years of battery life for the average user. As the rechargeable battery begins to fail, the running time of the battery begins to decline.

Learn how to get the most service and life from your HP notebook battery by following these industry-wide suggested best practices.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01297640 ( refer to Battery care practices ) 

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.