Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
pavilion g6-2113tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just updated the BIOS of this hp pavilion g6-2113tu and now the Wireless light on the F12 key (which is also the FN Wireless On/Off key) is constantly 'orange' and I am unable to turn it to White (On) regardless of the BIOS setting (FN Key Mode Enabled/Disabled).

Apart from the Wireless setting, even the brightness up/down keys aren't working which leads me to believe that none of the FN functions are working.

It wouldnt let me to downgrade to older version of BIOS F.26.

Before the BIOS update, everything was fine. I know I shouldn't have tried to 'fix' something which was 'working'.

Is there some hp software which would let me turn it on manually?

EDIT*

The volume control functions seem to be working fine such as volume down, volume up and mute. But the brightness up/down as well as WLAN On is not working.

EDIT 2 (temporarily) SOLVED:

Removed the Wi-Fi card after opening the cover, started Windows, shut down Windows, put the card back, start Windows and voila light is white again.

EDIT 3:

After installing the display adapter (video) driver, the brightness up/down was also working.

Pressing the FN+F12 only turns the airplane mode on or off and doesn't turn the orange light white.

It is very annoying that it stays orange after a normal restart and then to 'fix' this, I have to shut the laptop down, remove the power and the battery, press the power button, put everything back and then turn it on again.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@General_TerroR

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the Fn (function) keys aren't working and you need a way to fix this issue,

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue

And here's the step by step guide for you:

Click the Start button, then click Run . 
2.In the Run window, next to Open , type MSCONFIG . 
3.Press the ENTER key. 
4.In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab. 
5.On the Startup tab, under Startup Item , ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox. 

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the Hot-Key Utility application by clicking here

For windows 10 drivers: Click here

(ignore the ads, 3rd party link has been sent to ensure your issue is fixed, I'm going beyond my way to help you and if you would like to give me virtual high five, Click on the purple thumbs up 🙂 )

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below. 
Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Is there a 'HP Hotkey' or an 'HP Wireless Assistant' software for an 'hp pavilion g6-2113tu'?

@Riddle_Decipher

The links you posted, the software won't install saying that it's not for this product. Upon manual extraction of the files inside, and trying to use the executables such as 'wireless.exe' with the parameters '-d WLAN On', it says 'HPQ6001' not supported.

If you work at hp, just please give me a link to a 'wireless.exe' which is compatible with HPQ6001, so that I may run 'wireless.exe -d WLAN On' at every startup.

I just don't understand why the default setting for the WLAN is the 'off' state (orange light).

HP Recommended

@General_TerroR

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your patience and your efforts,

The link I shared earlier is universal for all HP products using windows 7 and beyond.

Alternatively, you can also use this link: Click here for softpaq (fix) as you've mentioned.

You could also, use the windows+X > Type services.msc and change the startup type on WLAN AutoConfig properties to Automatic (if it's manual or delayed startup) if it's already automatic change it to another option > save and exit > restart the computer > go back to the option and use automatic > save, exit and restart to fix the issue.

Keep me posted,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.