Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
G6-2235-us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows notified me to update and restart. I allowed it. The update went to about 20 percent and stopped. The pc shut off. When I noticed it, I turned it back on. The HP logo came up, a blank dialog box flashed, and the PC said it was attempting to recover the previous version of Windows. The pc rebooted again, flashed the dialog box, tried to recover, and continues in this never ending loop. I tried getting into safe mode through the F8 key, but have not been successful. Using the Windows media creation tool,  I created a bootable Windows image on a usb drive. I used the escape key to get to the HP diagnostics and boot options. I changed the boot order to boot off the usb drive. Now I get a Microsoft critical error. Can someone help? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

LubGparted.png

Well I made a DVD and booted from it (Lubuntu 19:04), it automatically mounted the C: Windows drive, I plugged in a USB stick and .....

https://lubuntu.net/downloads/    the icons are at the bottom of the screen and should be discernable.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

W8 Repair.png

Recovery Reinstall.png

HP Recommended

I've done most of what you suggested but will try again. Please clarify what you mean by "rinse and repeat." I assume that the adapter is the power cord to the laptop? My pc is currently set to boot only from the computer. Don't I also need to change the boot order? Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi

Assuming the hardware passed test, then perhaps

ESC   and then F9   and select he USB stick.

HP Recommended

Making progress! I got to the point where it says to continue the upgrade (which doesn't work) or perform a clean installation. If I do the clean installation will I lose my personal files? How about my apps?  I also read that I might have to input a Windows product key. I made the image from a friend's pc. Will this be a problem? Thx. 

HP Recommended

Hi

The Key?  --     KeyFinderInstaller may help....
https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

W10 Using cmd.exe as an Administrator (copy and paste accordingly).
wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey >> c:\ProdKey.txt
Creates a text file called ProdKey.txt on your C:\ area.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

############

If you do "An over the Top" install, stuff is kept, mostly in a folder called Windows.OLD

EG:

Here is what Microsoft says :

A custom install is similar to a clean install, but instead of wiping the hard disk clean, your previous Windows installation is moved to a folder called Windows.old. Windows.old is an archive of your old Windows installation. It is created by setup for a number of reasons depending on how the upgrade was initiated, including recovery of personal data or to facilitate the rollback to that previous version of Windows if you performed an in place upgrade.

In particular, you will find :

• The old registry hives in C:\Windows.old\System32\config
  • Your personal profile files in C:\Windows.old\System32\Users, which includes Cookies, Start Menu, UserData and more.

For more information see the Microsoft article :
Recover personal files from the Windows.old Folder such as Documents Pictures and Windows Live Mail ...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/reinstalling-windows-10-over-a-c...

So with care you maybe able to proceed to a successful Repair/Recovery/Rebuild/Re-Install.

HP Recommended

I'm at another impasse. I'm in Windows setup and it asks where I want to install Windows. There are five partitions listed all on drive 0: partition 1,WINRE, (total 400 mb 159 mb recovery), partition 2 (260 mb 150 mb system), partition 3 (128 mb 128 mb MSR reserved), partition 4 (670.3 gb 439.1GBP primary), partition 5 (930 mb 348 mb recovery).  The numbers are total size then free space. Partition 4 is highlighted, I hit enter, and then a dialog box appears that says:  The partitions on the disk selected for installation are not in the recommended order. For additional info about installing GPT disks go to the Microsoft web site (microsoft.com) and search for GPT.  Do you want to proceed with the installation? I read the info and don't know how to proceed. Pls help, I really appreciate the progress you've help me make. Thx.

HP Recommended

Hi

Mine came with 4 partitions.

BOOT Uefi area, a coupla hundred megabytes.

C:\    very big 970 GB

D:\

E:\

These were the recovery area and at least one was hidden.  They were 15 GB and a few hundred megabytes.

My choice would be     4 (670.3 gb 439.1GBP primary),

However...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVv2LBu3GxQ

IF you have the capacity to re-install from a USB stick then the Recovery area may be academic.

I am not familiar with error message, and Parts of My Disk.png

if you look at mine it is weird, and so is the sequence.

BUT I do have an S: for storage, where my data is put on so a W10 re-install should not wipe it.

But for you I am uncertain about you deleting partitions.

The  attached png shows a NON MS DVD I made and booted from to view my Windows install, and a partitioner that may be useful.  IF not just ignore it.  Lubuntu Live runs in RAM  -  does not install until you say so, twice.

HP Recommended

I did choose that larger partition and that's when I got that weird GPT message. I am also booting from a usb device already so I'm not sure what to do next. Start over? I don't have a workable Windows environment so I'm not sure how to create another partition. I don't understand what's happening right now.

HP Recommended

I actually have 3 more partitions: partition 6 921 mb 337 mb recovery, partition 7 350mb 308 mb recovery, partition 8 25.4 gb 2.9 gb oem reserved. So since the setup doesn't like partition 4, should I be looking to overwrite one of the other recovery partitions or be deleting partitions or what? I've never been this deep in an install/recovery!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.