Nabashalam Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Failed installation of Ubuntu. My passwords for Bios and boot-up options do not work.

NotebookElite 8540w
Other

This laptop was purchased about 3 years ago by my nephew through an employee program and given to me. I recently tried to install a different version of Ubuntu than the one I had previously been using and about 3/4 of the way through the process "hung" and would not complete.  Now, when I try to access the boot options and the bios I am asked for a password. My passwords do not work. I have tried tapping enter 3 times to get the code mentioned in other posts of this nature but just get an "authentication failed" message.  Is there anything that can be done to get my laptop back to working order?

Barbara

2 REPLIES 2
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4162 4158 561 1251
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Failed installation of Ubuntu. My passwords for Bios and boot-up options do not work.

Hello @Nabashalam,

We are sorry as there is no master password or generator for EliteBooks or ProBooks.

HP Business Notebooks such as Probooks  or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models infact they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial Number and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.

1. Please Contact HP Business Notebook support they should be able to send you a customized SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again !!

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 11018 574 1617
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Is there anything that can be done to get my laptop back to working order?

Loan the computer back to the nephew.

Maybe, his employer's IT Department set the BIOS-password for this "corporate" computer, as part of their "standard" setup for all computers deployed onto  their network.

I just installed UBUNTU (on this computer that I'm now using, to replace the "sunsetted" Windows Vista OS) and it has not created/changed the BIOS-password on this hardware.  So, I'm guessing that you never before had set (or needed to use) the BIOS-password.

UBUNTU 16 is running fine (Intel Core2 Duo, 3 Ghz, 2GB DDR3 RAM) as a successor to Windows Vista.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation