Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-db0000 Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I suspect my hard drive is likely dead, but worth a shot to see if it can be salvaged.

After diagnosing the hardware, I get a black screen showing the following info.

HP PC Hardware DIagnostics UEFI

Testing Drive 1

SMART Check: PASSED

Long DST: FAILED

FAILURE ID:  933SML-9L0AAE-XD7XGJ-61C803

PRODUCT ID: 4RB29UA#ABL

Hard Drive 1

I've also have some blue recovery screens with these 2 error codes.

0xc0000185

0xc000000f

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
sorry, i didn't get a notification for the penultimate reply
Okay, good news!
but take backups regularly, the hard drive may still fail permanently
please validate the solution by marking the answer

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hello
the hard drive is defective
It can continue to operate for a certain time, but it can definitively break down, if it is not already the case!
If possible, save personal data
Try a full reinstall
Be careful even if it works, it may permanently break down, save the data regularly.
This may allow you to use the computer while you find a hard drive!
Your computer should be this
 15-db0048ca Product Specifications

You can try to help yourself with this tutorial (sorry not fully translated)

que faire en cas d' erreur / échec dst du disque dur - HP Support Community - 7338574

Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

Maintenance and Service Guide

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I've already tried to reboot and re-install a few times before the post and was unsuccessful.  Fortunately I don't have much to recover.  As long as I buy the same model hard drive it would be fine to replace the existing one in my HP?  Also, I wouldn't need purchase a new copy of Windows 10 since it can be transferred from the affected hardrive?

The replacement hard drive I'm looking at is from Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/western-digital-wd-1tb-5400rpm-sata-laptop-internal-hard-drive-...

HP Recommended

mmm ..
I have already given you all the indications!
If your hard drive is HS, it will be difficult for you to recover Windows on it.
If you have not created the recovery kit you must try with the HP cloud tool that I have indicated.
Otherwise you can use the microsoft tool!

https://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/software-download/windows10

You may even be able to replace the HDD with an SSD
The scan can help:

Crucial.fr - Le scanner système Crucial

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

After some more trial and error I was able to reboot it with a copy of Windows 10 from a USB.  But I forgot to recovery the data.  Luckily it wasn't much to recover and didn't really lose anything too important.

Could I still recover any of the data or it is simply too late and it would be better to be proactive in the future to back up everything?

HP Recommended

Above a recovery it may be complicated ..
Try to do nothing more, no new installation.
And try with software of this type:

https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

But beware, as I explain each time, the hard drive can definitely fail.
Backed up data regularly while waiting for hard drive replacement

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Update on my situation now.  So the diagnostics Long and Short DST failed.  I bought a brand new hard drive and replaced it.  However I'm still getting another repetitive message saying No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key.

HP Recommended

130757238_404534424025566_662651722862962686_n.jpg131300113_1117740195352431_4604557711609737227_n.jpg131300605_1323883467983983_1022818587296142827_n.jpg131424560_224347912426191_555023208332229022_n.jpg

Here are pictures of my BIOS, perhaps my settings are incorrect.

HP Recommended

You have changed your hard drive.
But have you reinstalled windows?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I tried loading Windows 10 with a USB version, but I continue to get the same message.  I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.