Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ae005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So a few days ago I started to get a Fan Error message (90B) on my Laptop.

It is an HP Spectre x360 from 2017, so nearly 2 years old and is out of warranty.

I have checked google and found a few references to this problem and have done the following:

1) booted into windows, run a temperature monitor and observed core temperatures.

(a) they are not excessive

(b) when the do get hot (for example running a game), the fans turn on, ramp up in speed and the temperatures subsequently drop

2) Flashed the latest BIOS (F.31)

3) Installed latest drivers (using HP support Assistant) and ran Windows update

4) Cleaned out dust from the fans by taking the back cover off. When I did this I noticed the behaviour that when you boot the laptop, the fans turn on for a very short period of time - this appears to be part of the POST

My conclusion is that the fans *appear* to be working, but that initial boot POST tests sometimes indicate a fault hence the error message

I also found on the web, that a year or so ago there was a spate of these issues reported that seem to have been corrected by a BIOS update. I am now running latest BIOS.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what the problem might be?

Could it be an old BIOS bug that had been fixed but has been re-introduced with a later BIOS update?

Could it be something that Windows update has introduced.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Nick

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@NickESmith Welcome to HP Community!

To fix this error, use the following steps:

1. Press Enter to clear the message and allow the system to boot to the Windows Desktop.

2. Shut down the computer, and then inspect and clean the exterior vents to remove dust buildup by blowing air through the vent openings. Dust can accumulate inside the vent openings and around internal cooling components, preventing the removal of heat.

For more information on reducing heat inside your computer, see Reducing Heat Inside the PC.

3. After you remove the dust, turn on the computer. If the error message persists, continue with these steps.

4. Perform a hard reset. Performing a hard reset can reset recorded thermal values in memory and enable you to use the computer again, even if only for a short time to access and save any important files before service.

For more information on performing a hard reset, see Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues.

5. In some cases, updating the BIOS might help prevent this error from occurring.

For more information on how to update the BIOS, see Updating the BIOS.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions @Riddle_Decipher

regarding the points you made

1), 2) and 3). Already done these (as mentioned in my original post).

4) have since done this - to no effect

5) Had already done this (as mentioned in my original post).

As I said in the original post - I saw some references to this type of problem, which was resolved with a BIOS update and I was wondering if a BIOS fix for this has somehow be "undone" or "rolled back" during a subsequent later BIOS release.

When I turn the laptop on, I can hear the fans start, then stop almost straight away. I assume this is part of the POST.

Sometimes the Laptop will show the fault, sometimes it won't. Its almost as if the POST is checking the speed of the Fans at start-up and sometimes they haven't got to speed in time for the test to pass. So either the test is happening a bit to soon, or the fans are not running quite as freely as the should - its possible that the laptop might be failing this POST test more often when cold.

In any event, when the laptop boots into windows and I run "stuff", the fans do come on and performs appropriate cooling as required.

I will keep monitoring to make sure it doesn't overheat.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@NickESmith You may use the below steps to perform a BIOS Rollback, however, if this doesn't do the trick, we may be looking at a possible hardware malfunction, also, I know the steps I suggested were repetitive but I needed to ensure it was done exactly as mentioned in the article:

1. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.

2. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds.

Keyboard highlighting the key presses for BIOS recovery

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.