2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Fans at 100% at startup while laptop is cold

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

i have a problem with my laptop. everytime i startup my laptop, the fans will blast at full 100% for the first 5 minutes, that while the laptop is cold, and nothing is opened, i just bought this laptop 3 months ago. is there anyone that could help out?

3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,811 31,659 3,071 7,583
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DelanoS 

Just because nothing is opened by you does not mean nothing is running. On my Win10 PCs, there are over 50 tasks running in the background even when I am not doing anything.

Additionally, Windows Update runs in the background every time you boot your PC, and it will go online to check for updates. All that time, it is driving up the processors on the PC to nearly 100% and that drives up the fan.  If it finds nothing, is will stop running and your fans will quiet down. 

This sounds exactly like what is happening on your laptop.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
DelanoS
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for your reply,

it sounds like that could be the case, do you know if there is any way to disable that my laptop is searching for automatic updates? I already interrupted it until november 30th, but i'm not sure if that's the solution so it doesn't search for updates anymore.  Thanks a lot already.

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,811 31,659 3,071 7,583
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DelanoS 

There have been claims that if you set Windows Update to believe that you are using a Metered Connection, it will not automatically download anything -- but that does not stop it from searching and I know no way to stop that while still retaining access to the Internet.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation