Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For my ProBook 450 G6 recently "HP Firmware Pack R71" (version 01.08.03, SP98476) came available. On the UEFI side it goes through flashing the ~128MB of main firmware, and then tries to update some devices. Which gives the following error:

--

USB Type-C Controller Firmware Update failed on below Controller(s):

CCG5 (Single Port PD)

Info: Firmware initialization failed.

--

`.\BiosConfigUtility64.exe /Get:"my_settings_2.txt"` shows:

--

USB Type-C Controller(s) Firmware Version:
CCG5 (Single Port PD) : 7.6.0

--

End of April when I also dumped the settings this was the same version (7.6.0). Firmware Pack release notes say "Updates the Cypress PD firmware to v7.9 to provide enhanced compatibility."

The 'Intel silicon reference code' and 'Intel Management Engine' and UEFI firmware itself is correctly updated to the described versions.

I don't use the USB-C port for charging, so I don't have that kind of failure to charge that others report when the Cypress CCG5 USB Power Delivery chip fails to update. 

But I do notice that my USB-A 3.1 ports that I use for a dock are now much more sensitive to touching the USB cables or moving the laptop. Though this might be unrelated / unchanged.

Re-executing the EXE on the Windows 10 side does reinstall the UEFI firmware, but does not resolve anything, still the same error. I did not have any USB devices connected during the update. I have also tried running the firmware update without any charger connected. I have tried downloading the update with a browser, outside of HP Support Assistant, fails in the same way. I've tried running the peripherals updater menu item in the UEFI after a fresh boot, also fails.

Is there any other Cypress CCG5 firmware v7.9 updater available? Or any way to force it into a more receptive mode so the install succeeds ? Something like MacBook's Power Management Unit (PMU) reset.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sad to hear it didn't resolve your problem.

I successfully resolved my problem using a USB flash drive with FAT32.

The installer on the Windows side says you just need to boot the laptop with the USB drive inserted. But actually you need to boot while holding ESC, then go into 'BIOS Setup (F10)', select 'Update System BIOS', and choose the bottom option 'Update System and Supported Device Firmware Using Local Media'.

When I did that the PD flashing showed a progress bar, instead of an error.

Bios config utility now says:

---

CCG5 (Single Port PD) : 7.9.0

---

I notice that the final option on the UEFI BIOS start screen 'Update System and Supported Device Firmware' now progresses normally, but of course all firmwares are already at the destination version.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Exactly the same problem  here!

Regards

HP Recommended

I see someone blames this on activated Bitlocker: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/USB-type-c-firmware-update-failed-onboard-PD-f...

You might also try putting the update on a USB drive, there is an option for that during the SP98476 installer program. If it is a normal unencrypted FAT32 drive, it should circumvent the Bitlocker problem (if that's the thing).

Maybe this helps you.

HP Recommended

Hey HenkPoly,

thanks for your help, but the error message from "your" thread ist only similar to ours, not the same.

And.... Bitlocker isn't activitated on my Laptop and the "USB-Drive way" to update the Bios produces the same error message.

So the problem still exists on my Laptop...

Regards

HP Recommended

Sad to hear it didn't resolve your problem.

I successfully resolved my problem using a USB flash drive with FAT32.

The installer on the Windows side says you just need to boot the laptop with the USB drive inserted. But actually you need to boot while holding ESC, then go into 'BIOS Setup (F10)', select 'Update System BIOS', and choose the bottom option 'Update System and Supported Device Firmware Using Local Media'.

When I did that the PD flashing showed a progress bar, instead of an error.

Bios config utility now says:

---

CCG5 (Single Port PD) : 7.9.0

---

I notice that the final option on the UEFI BIOS start screen 'Update System and Supported Device Firmware' now progresses normally, but of course all firmwares are already at the destination version.

HP Recommended

Hi Hank,

glad to hear, that it works. Unfortunally this way doesn't work for me.

When i choose "update from local media" the update process starts immediately. (with the same error)

The strange point ist... It Starts immediately with AND WITHOUT my usb drive plugged in!

I've tried both ways. Legacy and uefi vice versa by the way.

there will be no query for coosing my usb drive as the source for the update file. so i think, the update process started with a bios file located in my harddisk.

but when there is no query... what can i do 😉

So i think i have to wait for the next bios update.... and have to live with ver. 7.6

Regards

HP Recommended

One last Question, Hank...

Was there a query, where you  could choose your usb drive, when you clicked "update from local media"?

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

For me there was no query for what drive to use either. I had a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive in the (?USB2.0?) port on the left. The installation tool generated a HP folder on the drive, containing the firmware update. I think most flash drives have no MBR/GPT partitioning, just a bare FAT32 filesystem.

I guess if you really want to make sure that it picks your USB drive, you could remove the main drive. But it's kinda tedious to remove the laptop's back plate.

Alternatively you could do the tricks to mount the hidden filesystems that contain the firmware update, and remove the firmware copy from the internal SSD.

HP Recommended

Hey Henk,

thanx again for your help, but i think i should give up now...

i do all like you.... no result.

I additionally created a HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS 4-IN-1 USB KEY which should have a Point: "Firmware Management", but exactly this point is missing, when i start the Diagnostics from the stick, lol. The Point is missing, when i start the Diagnostic from the UEFI Partition, too.

Even with another Bios recovery Stick plugged in.

It seems impossible to make a firmware update with a file i choosed before. Maybe a new security feature...

The (USB )Firmware update worked well with no errors with bios Versions 01.01.01 Rev.A and 01.02.00 Rev.A.

The hassle begun with firmware update 01.03.00 Rev.A.

Anyway... I hope a future firmware update will fix this, HP!!!

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Did you ever manage to get a solution to this?  We've got 20 of these with the same problem.  Was hoping it would be fixed in the BIOS released last week, but no such luck.  Tried disabling Bit Locker but it makes no difference, and have tried via the BIOS screen as well.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.