Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Stream 13 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Trying to help my elderly mom who get prompted for 'administrator or power on password' after boot up on Stream 13 laptop. She does not remember setting up any password.

I removed the battery connection inside and waited before re-connecting. It does not have a CMOS battery as far as i can tell.

Battery disconnects do get me to screen which says

"CMOS checksum is invalid. The CMOS will reset to the default configuration and will be rebooted. Please check your BIOS.

CMOS Reset (502)

ENTER - Reboot the system"

I cant get any key sequence to get it to proceed. I just end up at the password again and too many attempt produce 

"System disabled followed by 8 digit number"

Is there a way to recover this system ? Any help much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PeterB72

Enter   45781369

If there is an ( i ) at the beginning of your code enter   67412126

REO

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@PeterB72

Please post that Disable Code.

REO

HP Recommended

Thanks for prompt reply REO

I didnt think of suuplying the code as i thought it would change with each subsequent group of 3 failed attempts.

Here it is 50683769

HP Recommended

@PeterB72

Enter   45781369

If there is an ( i ) at the beginning of your code enter   67412126

REO

HP Recommended

Thanks REO. I will try that on Tue when i visit mom.

Is that a 1 time thing or will i need to get into the BIOS to swicth off password protection ?

I am hoping it will boot into windows after that and we dont get password prompt again.

HP Recommended

@PeterB72

One of those codes is your master code.

It will only work on your PC and it will stay the same for ever.

REO

HP Recommended

REO Kudo to you. That first code work thank you.

From a mac user and his happy mom. She is very pleased.

HP Recommended

Now she tells me she has had that for so long, i have to go google "windows 8.1 forgotten password" workaround

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.