Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello karnoldy. I understand you've also received the 303 or 305 error when testing the hard drive?

If the notebook will not boot into Windows and you get that error from the hard drive test it means the drive is dead. Without special equipment you will not be able to get the data off the drive.

There is one possible workaround to get some data off the disc but it is risky and not a solution which is officially supported by HP. You could try putting the hard drive in the freezer and then into an external enclosure (do NOT put the frozen hard drive into the notebook) and pulling the data off that way. Freezing a drive can sometimes bring it back to life long enough to get data off. However, keep in mind that condensation/water on ANY electronic parts is bad news. If you plug in a drive with condensation or water on it you're very likely to damage other parts. If you'd like to try this I suggest reading this article to get more information. I can not give any sort of guarantee that this will work, however.

I hope this information is helpful. I also hope you have a great weekend!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

I got the 305 error.

But I took the hard drive out and put it in another HP I have and it booted.

So what GIVES?

HP Recommended

Hello pauld0820,

You are getting error 305

That means that the hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

It might continue to work for some time, but it’s going to fail. It could be today or it could be a year from now.

I’d recommend backing everything up on the computer while you can.

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

yea sorry about that it is a 3f0 error not 305. when i was googling for the error google asked to correct to 305 and i without paying attention clicked the new suggested search

HP Recommended

pauld0820,

You should be able to connect the drive back to the original computer.

Re-seating the hard drive is one of the steps to correct the issue.

Could be an issue that the BIOS is not recognizing the drive, you can try to reset BIOS defaults.

Turn off the computer.
As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

nope that dint work. I even reflashed the bios. hirens boot cd does not see the hard drive. though i did see the activity light sometimes flickering

HP Recommended

pauld0820,

The problem is going to be with the mother board, you’ll need to take the computer to someone and have them look at it.

Here is a link to the number for HP, if you would like to see what repair options they have for you.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

My Hard Disk Test failed and I'm out of guaranty. Consequently, your assistance of how to solve this problem is greatly needed.

My regards,

Pykhon

HP Recommended

Hello, 

Thanks for your post. I have the same issue, but I just get the "hard disk 1 full" error. I will try new HDD

Thanks

HP Recommended
Sir
I have a pavilion g4 1201 tu notebook laptop. And I am having the same errors. So I am planning to replace the hdd and I am out of warranty.
Please guide me.

Thanks and regards

Mohd Naved Alam
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.