Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
G70
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

This notebook was working fine, and I was replacing the screen hinges, but now it will not turn on (i've taken the screen fully off because thats another problem for another time). I know about the flashing lights and power indicators, but after I charged it for over 24 hours, there are no lights when the on button is pressed, not even the three flashing 'out of battery' lights. the only thing that lights up is the little light next to the charger input, so the notebook knows there is a charger in, and I believe it is giving out power, as the light next to the charger is on, and the power brick gets warm to the touch after a few hours (which leads me to believe it is giving out power) HELP!! please!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can find a mutimeter and test the power supply. I don't think it is the power supply if the light next to the jack comes on when you plug it in.

On PC desktop motherboards you can just cross the headers for the on/off switch. Nothing like that on this motherboard. The on-off switch board is a unique proprietary device. But someone who was a real techhead (beyond my skills) could likely figure the pin-out of the ribbon cable and find some way to cross the leads and duplicate the effect of the on-off switch. Likely you can find the on-off switch board for a few bucks on eBay; buy it, try it and if it still does not work it is the motherboard. 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

The G70 has a bit of a complex arrangement of the "power on" mechanism. There is a power button daughterboard and then the button iself is over it and in the top cover. Here is the Manual:

Manual

See pages 4-19 and 4-27. Make sure the top cover is snapped down enough that the physical power button engages the power button board. Not sure how much you still have it disassembled at this point. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, at the moment the screen is off and that is it. The power button has fallen off in the past, so i'll try to click the button underneath (on the circuit board) with some things and see what happens

HP Recommended

After some more clicking and prodding, I can hear the button making a distinctive click, so im certain it is clicking properly, i have also tried activating the button without the button cover on, is there any  other way i could make it turn on? even if it included dissasembling more

HP Recommended

No the on-off comes from the clicker on the little daughterboard which I have always thought is not an ideal design. Try reseating the cable from the daughterboard. If you are lucky it is only the switch daughterboard that is bad. 

HP Recommended

After some more clicking and prodding, I can hear the button making a distinctive click, so im certain it is clicking properly, i have also tried activating the button without the button cover on, is there any  other way i could make it turn on? even if it included dissasembling more

HP Recommended

im having some trouble with removing hte keyboars, whilst following the manual, do you have any tips? like which way the tabs should be pushed?

HP Recommended

Page 4-16 of the Manual. Once the screws are removed you can move the keyboard just a bit within the frame to expose the tabs on the right and left. You really need a non-marring spudger tool to wedge in between the inside of the frame and the keyboard to get it loose. You can't be afraid to use a little force. The skill is knowing just how much you can apply before something breaks and that comes from doing it a few times (and breaking something once or twice, I am afraid). 

HP Recommended
Thanks, I will attempt to fix it again later, have a good Christmas!
HP Recommended

Do I have any other way of contactng you, such as video chat? as i have taken the daughterboard off and reconnnected it and i cant get niothing to work yet

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.