Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

This morning, my laptop seemed to be working fine. I was on it for about half an hour but once I got home, and waited a few hours before using it, I went to turn it on and all it displays is a gray screen. This gray screen is smooth at first, but slowly deteriorates to a display such as this: 

Laptop Display Example

I really can't do anything else because this screen appears right after startup, and blocks me from using it any other way. If you look close to the deterioated screen, you can see tiny dots of different color. Buttons such as the wifi button, brightness levels, and the capslock still function. The screen will brighten or darken, and the lights on the other two keys turn on and off normally when clicked. 

This upsets me because I have only had this laptop for about two years, the warranty is finished, and I've had so many issues with this laptop from the software to problems with Windows 8. I didn't do anything to damage the screen, and no one comes into my room who could have damaged it. 

Also, I have tried removing the battery and removing the charger ( which it can't run more than 10 minutes without ) and letting it cool down, but when I turn the laptop back on, I recieve the same response. My laptop is an HP b011nr, at least that's what it says after 'model' on the bottom of my laptop. Bear with me, I'm not much of a computer person. 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Tiffazure 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see your wonderful display and can imagine how helpful it isn't. Hopefully, I can help get you past that.

The screen may not be black, but much of this could still help.
Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot

Here are some other sources I found for you to check out.
Resolving Problems with Notebook Displays (Windows 7 and Windows 😎
Diagnosing a Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) for Damage

Another idea, would be to try a system recovery, and just fix or reinstall the drivers and see if that helps. A full system recovery would result in data loss, so that is a last resort.Check this page out but as I said, just try the driver refresh, and see if that helps. Of course that also assumes that you can see the display to do it.
Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎
Troubleshooting HP System Recovery Problems (Windows 😎

Let me know if you have any success, and if not tell me what happens and I can try to find something else that could help.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Hello, I just had this same issue and all links above ain't going no where rather than the support homepage.

I tried copying the text and paste in to google search then read the steps outlined but it still doesn't help.

You saw the image poster uploaded thats exactly how mine did, you are a support agent, looking at that image you should be able to tell whats wrong.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.