Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-DB0015DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a new laptop (hp 15-DB0015DX) running Windows 10S 64 Bit. I want to swap out the HDD with the HDD from my old HP laptop so that I can back everything up. The old one is running Windows 7, so when I loaded it into the new system and tried to boot, it tells me to "install a bootable operating system". I went into the BIOS and found the Legacy Support option to be able to boot into older versions of Windows. My question is, if I Enable Legacy Support in my BIOS so that I can boot into my HDD with Windows 7; will I be able to disable it after I'm done and reinstall the new HDD with Windows 10??? Or is it permanently enabled once I change it? 

Thanks!!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will be able to change it back after you are done running W7 on your new notebook.

I will be very surprised if it will boot into W7 even with legacy mode enabled.

HP Recommended

Oh really? Why?

HP Recommended

Because the architecture in your new notebook will be very different than the architecture in your old notebook.

I mean you have nothing to lose by trying it, but don't get your hopes up.

To me, it would be a lot easier to purchase a USB to sata hard drive connector and read the drive's contents from the PC.

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Cable-Support-Black/dp/B07S9CKV7X/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=77859220547...

HP Recommended

Yes, I've already done that and hooked it up last night but it for some reason W10 will not allow me to access my user folders because it's password protected and it won't let me run as admin either..

HP Recommended

Bummer.

See if you can copy and paste or click and drag the file folders to the PC you are trying to read them from, and then open them on the PC you copied them to.

In other words, don't try and open them on the notebook's hard drive.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

I'm currently undergoing the task of copying all 380GB of it to the new system ha ha. Once it's all done, I'll post back.

Still hoping I can get it to boot in the new system though, even for a few minutes so I can screenshot some of my settings etc. I'm not a big fan of W10 so far, I feel like they over complicated things and also made keeping your HDD contents private a lot bigger of a task than it should be...

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I hope you can too, but if it doesn't boot with legacy mode enabled and secure boot disabled, save your efforts to post screenshots, because no matter what you do, W7 won't boot.

It is either going to work after you change those settings, or it won't.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.