Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 14-df0023cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A recent HP firmware update pushed through Windows Update can corrupt the BIOS and brick the computer.

The specific update is listed as "HP Inc - Firmware - 6/3/2019 12:00:00AM - 15.40.0.0"

Repairing the issue requires BIOS recovery using the BIOS recovery tool or the HP 4-in-1 tool.

The computer will continue to try to update the BIOS when you restart the computer because Windows does not recognize the Update as being complete.

- Immediately after the repair, you must rollback the driver: Computer Management -> Device Manager -> Firmware -> System Firmware -> Driver -> Rollback Driver

- You may also have to restart the computer, you may have to wait for the BIOS update utility to appear and manually cancel the update to prevent bricking the computer ... again.

It took my 5 hours to get to the root of this problem and fix it.  I hope this helps others that run into this issue.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @Ninja_joe,

My laptop is also bricked due to this Windows Update Bios firmware update.

Did you get the BIOS recovery tool with a USB drive to work without any issues.

I was able to create the USB recovery drive from STEP 3 from this article >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

The USB recovery drive was accessed and the 2 steps of applying the bios file and then verifying the file completed successfully.

However after that this the screen indicated it would restart and complete the bios update but it just restarts and then remains on with a blank screen.

I also did the USB recovery steps a second time and once again it worked for the first two steps or applying and verifying the bios recovery but then rebooted and did not respond further and remained at the blank screen.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Have 8 at a customers location - Black screen at boot - Had to USB recover the BIOS - Tried installing latest bios from HP site as well - Same result - then had to USB Recover.

What gives HP - We need this WIndows 10 Update pulled or corrected.

HP Recommended

@Rp60

I had challenges with the BIOS recovery tool found under the support page of my model, but I was successful with HP's 4-in-1 recovery tool generally used by professionals.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

There are directions contained within the tool on how to use it.  (HP PC Diagnostics USB Key User Guide  -> Page 15)

If your model is the same as mine (14-df0023cl / 14-df0020nr) the System Board ID is 849E, which is what you will need for the BIOSCopy tool.  A (mostly) full list of available models and associated boards are contained in the excel file with the 4-in-1 tool.

Remember, after you fix the problem manually, the computer is unbricked, and Windows restarts, it still thinks the update has not completed and will try to run the update all over again.  Let the computer restart, and when the BIOS tries to update again, click "Cancel Update"

I wish I could help more, but I only know what it took to fix my computer.  This is a serious problem HP needs to address, but once the computer is bricked it still has to be fixed.

HP Recommended

Hi Ninja_joe,

I just went through the process you outlined, created the USB Key, and attempted to start the BIOS Recovery. Every time I tried to load that application through the USB Key, I just ended up with a blank screen and nothing happened. I'm convinced that once the machine has a hard drive with the Windows Update installed, nothing can fix the issue other than either wiping the drive and reinstalling windows, or somehow rolling back the update.

HP Recommended

In my case, latest BIOS F34 was restored using Windows + B trick. I never got option during BIOS restoration processing to cancel it. So after restoring F34 BIOS nothing happens i.e. blank screen.

I believe HP firmware update via windows update (even if you got 1903 installed and working) corrupt hard drive or need new motherboard (hard to believe that part)

HP Recommended

I also experienced this exact same situation after updating Windows 10 and the Windows Update feature automatically updating the BIOS. 

So I used the links and instructions you’ve provided and was able to recover the BIOS.

Thank you for your contributions to my resolution. 

Side Note: HP should really figure out what is causing all this and rollout a fix soon. I’ e been recommending this laptop to friends and coworkers lately and know of 3 people who have purchased it based on my recommendation. However, I don’t believe any of them would feel confident in finding and implementing the fix. 

HP Recommended

So...I and a few others fixed our laptops! There was a solution given in this Slickdeals thread by smt96 and it worked perfectly. Another poster suggested to disable the system firmware service in Device Manager which I did also. I'm so happy that this worked!

HP Recommended

Great to hear. Those are the steps I had followed and worked for me too.

HP Recommended

Hi Ninja,

I experienced similar issues with my HP 14 Laptop, the BIOS update would Brick the PC and wouldn't boot. I used the BIOS recovery utility and got my PC running. 

Just today, I found a new Firmware Update "HP Inc. - Firmware 6/25/2019 12:00:00 AM - 15.42.0.0" in Windows Update page, was skeptical at first but went ahead and updated my PC, I can confirm the new update has patched the faulty BIOS Update and has successfully managed to update my Laptop to the latest BIOS. Hope this helps.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.