Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15 notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My laptop will not shutdown completely, requiring me to hold the power button down until the F12 light (wifi) goes from orange to off completely in order to restart the computer after powering down or after it cycles to sleep mode.    I have used the virtual assistant and did the recommended reset by taking out the battery and then pressing the power button for 15 seconds.  This initially worked but the next time it went into sleep mode the computer again failed to shutdown properly and I had to return to the hard boot process.  I have checked for updates and have all HP driver and Microsoft updates. I have also downloaded and performed the HP hardware evaluation software and all items passed.   This problem has been going on for several years now and I am getting tired of the time consuming process to start the computer.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@teuc

Thank you for keeping us posted

Since you already tried a Recovery which didn't work, I suggest you contact HP Support in your Region for Service Options

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@teuc I suggest you make a few changes to the way sleep mode works under power options:

• Change - "Put the computer to sleep" to preferred time,
  • And Change - "Turn off the monitor" to never.

If the issue persists, try the below steps:

Disabling the hybrid sleep, followed by updating all available Windows updates and the BIOS update from the HP website, please follow the below steps to disable the hybrid sleep after performing a hard reset on the device should help resolve the issue.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control panel.

2. Make sure the View by setting is set to Category, and then click Hardware and Sound.

3. Click Power Options.

4. Click Change plan settings for the power plan that is selected.

Changing  the plan settings

5. Click Change advanced power settings.

Clicking Change advanced power settings

6. Expand Sleep, and then expand Allow hybrid sleep.

7. Select Off from the On battery drop-down menu, and then select Off from the Plugged in drop-down menu.

Selecting Off in the On battery drop-down menu

8. Click OK.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & FOLLOW THE STEPS UNDER - The computer does not wake up from sleep or hibernate mode.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Initially, this solution worked - once.  I changed the settings and then put the computer to sleep. I was able to turn it right back on.  Unfortunately, when the computer went to sleep on its own, or if I shutdown the computer, it still will not come back on.  

My work around this time was to change the sleep settings to a select time for the monitor and "never" for the computer.  As you might guess, this means the computer is on all the time until I shut it down.  I will then need to hold the power button down until it resets to restart the computer.  Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@teuc Ideally, leaving the device in sleep mode doesn't save power or get the device to work better, it's recommended that you shutdown the device when not in use, if the device isn't shutting down, you may want to try a BIOS update: click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have updated all the drivers and the BIOS and am still having an issue with the shutdown.  When I shutdown the computer with the power switch or by clicking on the "shutdown" in the pop-up, the computer cycles off but does not shut all services down.  The F12/wireless light and the light on the side of the computer stays on.  The only way to boot is to hold the power button down until all the lights go off and then press the power button.  The same applies for putting the computer into sleep mode....I can not get the computer to wake up unless I hold down the power button for 10 seconds and then hit the power button a second time.

HP Recommended

@teuc Here's a few other things you can try:

a) Start –> All Programs –> Accessories –> right click on Command Prompt -> select "Run as Administrator". Type net stop wuauserv to stop Windows Update Service. 
Wait till you get : The windows update service was stopped successfully. " (DO NOT CLOSE COMMAND PROMPT). 

b) - Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution 
- Delete all files in "DataStore" folder 
- Delete all files in "Download" folder. 

c) In the Command prompt window, type net start wuauserv to start Windows Update service. 
Restart your computer and try to get update again (this should fix the issue permanently). 

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge - "victorious")

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the added suggestion.  This worked - partially.  After some difficulties in getting the wuauserv to stop, I was able to "kill" the pid associated with the service and then follow thru with the file deletions as recommended.  After two days of testing, I have found the solution effectively fixed the issue when I manually force the computer to sleep or power off but failed to resolve the issue when the computer cycles down due to inactivity.   If this occurs, the computer does not shutdown completely and I have to resort to the hard reboot to power on the laptop.

Any idea on this issue?

HP Recommended

@teuc If you've disabled hybrid sleep and follow the rest of the steps suggested along with the steps you've tried on your own, yet the issue persists, I suggest you create a backup of your personal data and then, create a new user account to check if that works, if that doesn't help either, please perform a system reset:click here for steps.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank you.  I guess I am going to have to reinstall Windows!

HP Recommended

@teuc I'm afraid you may be right, please try the steps mentioned in my last post and let me know how that goes,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.