Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-f211wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So today I go to turn my laptop on, and it won’t turn on whatsoever. It’ll sound like it’s booting up with the fans and whatnot and immediately shuts back off. It does this when connected to the charger, disconnected too. The f12 led light turns orange for a second and then turns off, with the fans running momentarily before they shut off too. The fans and the led light will turn off and on as long as I have the battery in. I have tried to do the thing where you unplug, take battery out, hold power button, and plug back in to NO AVAIL. I am losing my mind over this. I’m not even a little bit of a computer expert, but I think it’s the motherboard. Could this be the case? What can I do to fix it if it isn’t the motherboard? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it does sound like the motherboard. Trying over and over to start up is usually a good indication of board failure. If the motherboard was good the BIOS would at least detect other possible hardware failures and give an error message or blinking caps key. You could remove the memory and power on to see if the BIOS detects the memory is missing and gives a beep, error message or caps key blinking.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it does sound like the motherboard. Trying over and over to start up is usually a good indication of board failure. If the motherboard was good the BIOS would at least detect other possible hardware failures and give an error message or blinking caps key. You could remove the memory and power on to see if the BIOS detects the memory is missing and gives a beep, error message or caps key blinking.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.