Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (128 Views)

HP 15-n096sa change hdd boot order

Product Name: HP 15-n096sa
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I can change the boot order of hdd, CD, usb etc but I currently have two hdd's fitted, both with Win 10 installed.

How do I set one as the default?

Normally laptops defualt to the one fitted to the original hdd sata port and not the one fitted to the optical drive sata port, but not this machine!

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 7 (118 Views)

Re: HP 15-n096sa change hdd boot order

So which one is it defaulting to? The optical drive port?

Top Student
Message 3 of 7 (115 Views)

yep.

Provost
Message 4 of 7 (104 Views)

That should not happen. The BIOS should not allow booting from an optical bay HDD. I suspect what may be happening is that the system starts to boot from the main SATA bay but Windows itself is handing off the boot to the optical bay HDD. Did you install Windows 10 to the optical bay HDD while the other drive was in the computer and already had Windows 10 on it? Why do you want to have 2 Windows 10 drives in the system at the same time? Generally not a good idea because it does cause confusion. 

Top Student
Message 5 of 7 (102 Views)

New install was installed on ssd while hdd not attached. Both drives boot up fine individually. I've been dual or more booting since win98 so I am very aware of all the pitfalls.

In this case I just need to access the files from hdd in order to copy some stuff to the ssd, I do not actually need it to boot any longer but unless I hit F9 and manually change then the laptop will choose it first.

Provost
Message 6 of 7 (95 Views)

It is behaving in a way I had understood it cannot. We have to my knowledge never had anyone report that a hard drive in an optical bay could be bootable. Congratulations. I assume the HDD is in the optical bay and the SSD in the main bay? Can you not access the files from both no matter which the system boots from? If it were mine I might just go in and cripple the boot files on the one I did not want to boot from. Again, UEFI/secure boot or legacy boot? Curious because I want to figure out how you got it to boot from an optical bay drive. 

Top Student
Message 7 of 7 (85 Views)

I wish I knew!

However now I've started to update the new Win10 it seems to have swapped round and is recognising the correct drive as defualt. if it happens again I'll grab some details

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation