Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 15-r255nu
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello, the already mentioned model of HP Notebooks is not booting at all. No matter is it plugged in or using only the removable battery. Sharing a link with the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mnhETAceS0

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Ivan,@Ifymed 

Thank you for coming back to the HP Support Community.

I am afraid that the news are not very positive. What you experience now looks like a hardware failure.

HP has created an official article about your problem and you can read it here >> https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

The way it blinks now indicates processor/CPU failure. The model is old one and if you would like to repair it, please reach to one of the local HP partners in your country >> https://www8.hp.com/bg/bg/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

If you have an important data inside your PC, before reaching to a service center, consider getting the hard disk drive out, obtaining a SATA to USB cable and reading the data from another PC

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response! From the link that you first mentioned I can't understand which column is about my problem since I am getting only 1 blink every 5 seconds. I also have to mention something else. Since I have experienced the same problem with my other notebook, I knew that there was an option for the BIOS recovery which back then helped me. I did it as well and at first, it worked. What really happened. When I have put the flash drive with the BIOS the notebook started working properly without even going into BIOS update. Like nothing happened. I decided that this is wrong so I shut it down once more and repeated the BIOS recovery steps. This time the BIOS update process started and finished as it should. But after 1 - 2 hours of working the notebook went into the "black zone" once again and it didn't start anymore. Did try the BIOS recovery and didn't work this time. Moreover, the blink before my BIOS recovery attempts and after them are the same. That's why I decided to be here with you guys. I would be more than happy if this further information helps for solving the problem without going to service, not because it has to be paid or something else, but because it is a time-consuming process! 

Thank you again for response and looking forward for your message 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello @Ifymed 

You can check the article again - under "Computers released between before 2015" you can see that one blinking is an indication of a CPU problem.

Based on the video, it seems it blinks once only, and after a while it repeats.

I do acknowledge now that the video is a very short one but if the pattern is different, you may be able to find the correct answer in the same article - you just need to identify the pattern of blinking.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Alright, thank you. But I have already mentioned I did a BIOS recovery and it did work the first time. The indicator was absolutely the same. Why when I am having a CPU failure, I am allowed first to recover the BIOS, then not to? As I said I really want to find another solution than bringing it to service. 

Cheers!  

HP Recommended

Hi @Ifymed ,

You are very welcome. It's my pleasure.

Before I continue, I would also like to also emphasize that I am not pushing you to bring the PC to a service center. I am a volunteer here and I am trying to help you find the best and most accurate solution. 🍉

Based on the article and my experience, I can confirm that one blink at a time is a sign of a CPU/processor failure. I am afraid easy fix or fast non-time consuming fix is not always possible. What you experience now does not look like a software problem, there is no way I can remote into your computer and provide a fast fix. Sometimes alternative or fast solutions is technically and practically impossible.

You are in front of the PC and it's you who know best how exactly and how often it blinks. The article is your main guide. It's easy, well written, it's open and transparent.

Based on the video, it looks to me that it blinks once only. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

But if indeed it blinks twice, then it would be another story.

So, here it is:

- 1 blink (pause) repeat   is processor failure

- 2 blinks (pause) repeat   is BIOS/UEFI failure

- 3 blinks (pause) repeat   is memory RAM failure

etc... these codes are valid for any PC model released pre-2015 (like yours)

• Here is a video example of 3 blinks / flashes >> memory issue >> https://youtu.be/cnTpYvZjKZQ?t=15
  • Here is a video example of 2 blinks/flashes >> BIOS issue >>  https://youtu.be/XUCiYG6ztc0?t=36
  • Your video posted initially looks like 1 blink/flash to me - correct me if I am wrong
  • Please, watch them all so that you can compare and contrast

Let me know how it blinks eventually.

Unfortunately, if it is the same type and pattern of blinking, it would need a service or you may need to buy a new one.

HP Recommended

Hello, I went to both recommended services. At first, I was answered that they are not supporting this type of models of HP - the Pavilions. In the other 1, I was told that this is a Motherboard defect and it is not fixable, neither replaceable. How it is possible to have a defect? What went wrong and why it is not fixable? I just don't understand. I want my laptop... 

HP Recommended

Hello Ivan / @Ifymed 

Apologies for the my delay in response - I was away for a couple of days.

• Your PC model (if HP 15-r255nu) is not a Pavilion model - the told you wrong or misunderstood you.
  • Why it may not be fixable , you ask - it can be fixed on theory. Practically, it might not be possible or feasible. I still think it is a CPU problem but no matter what (whether motherboard or CPU, etc) - your model is on the market from December 2014 which is 4.5 years ago. The model is out of warranty period and the service center may not have the necessary parts to replace them - PC is too old and parts are not produced or sold anymore. Also, the parts may be too expensive for a user to afford them. Sometimes, it may be better to replace the entire computer as both motherboards and CPUs are the most expensive parts of a computer (parts + service bills will cost you 60-70% of the price of a new PC).
  • Have you checked with this service center for service possibility for your model -> 0700 17 978 - STEMO  ?

If they tell you repair is not possible (for whatever reason) or you find it too expensive, consider purchasing a new computer.

I am a fan of refurbished (second hand) certified business class models which are not very expensive, good quality and can be upgraded (more RAM, SSD, etc)

Best regards,

IT_WinSec

@Ifymed wrote:

Hello, I went to both recommended services. At first, I was answered that they are not supporting this type of models of HP - the Pavilions. In the other 1, I was told that this is a Motherboard defect and it is not fixable, neither replaceable. How it is possible to have a defect? What went wrong and why it is not fixable? I just don't understand. I want my laptop... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.