Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Notebook HP 15-BS180TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have updated bios and it reset the existing settings hence I am not able to use the Virtualization software. When hitting F10 its asking for Administrator password which it showing invalid and after 3 attempts its showing error "System Disabled [i 79587845]'.

Also, I have tried to recover/reset bios with BCU utility by HP but it also didn't work for me. Is there any master password or way to get access to BIOS so I can update the setting as previous one to enable "Intel VT-x"?

HP Virtual agent is not helpful and wasted a lot of time to find the solution.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Katt_Thomas 

I know we used to provide Disabled Bypass Codes -- but we're not allowed to do that anymore.

I wish we could help you, but sorry, due to changes in Community policy, we are no longer able to provide any assistance with password reset or recovery issues.

Also please note that now, to resolve a forgotten BIOS or power-on password issue, since that password is embedded into the firmware of the system board, to replace that, a system board replacement is required -- and additional customer costs apply, and while the costs vary by laptop model, they are generally around $200 USD. HP has issued this post about BIOS passwords: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06368824.

In addition, according to the Community's Rules of Participation:
4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

For assistance NOW, you have to contact your regional HP Customer Support location directly as they will confirm ownership of the PC before providing any assistance -- something we are not able to do from here.
Goto this page https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood

Thanks for the quick update but its not the solution I am looking for.

If user need to spent $200 just to get access to the BIOS password then its the worst experience to use HP laptop. I was planning to buy 2 high end HP system but just dropped the plan based on the service by HP. Likely to check for other cost effective solution in this case. Very soon I have to replace current system with other one where a bios password won't worth $200 for me.

HP Recommended

@Katt_Thomas 

Guess it was unclear, but you actually do NOT get access to the BIOS password; instead, you get a replaced motherboard with the firmware password-free.  That is why HP charges the money they do -- to replace the motherboard.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

After a 15 days of research and study I am able to get access to Bios setting without any hardware replacement or action and now I can access to desired function without spending any amount. Now I realize how HP support is not useful and its harder to reach to HP technical support staff to get the solution.

HP community is good but it could be better if they will provide solution and avoid the recommendation to replace hardware just because of 6-8 digit password was forgotten by user and need to spend heavy amount for it.

I'll appreciate if HP will allow some flexibility to user to perform action by own because in the security perspective if you have access to hardware then nothing is secure and here owner of device is requesting to reset/master password but as of now no option is available for them. People with stolen laptop or devices won't contact HP support to unlock their device its common thing but money making business just ignore it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.