Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 17-by-0062-cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running Windows 10 2004 with latest updates)

When booting the PC I get the following message   

Scanning and repairing drive ((\\?\Volume(545ad9d2-94cf-4044-8ffc-5d617c8fef27}): 100% complete

It pops up about 5 seconds after the dotted circle starts when windows starts.   It stays until the sign of screen appears and disappears after another 9 or 9 seconds.

The computer appears to be working ok after that.  I just spent 5 hours with Microsoft running various diagnostics with absolutely no errors except on time after running CHKDSK /C       it said the "Volume Bitmap is incorrect".

I ran CHKDSK /F opotion today.  3:48 later is said there were no errors.  I', still getting the same message at startup.

I even reloaded  ver 1909,  same problem

I did an in place reinstallation of windows 10 2004.  same problem.

Microsoft finally said they have nom idea and I should contact HP.

Thanks for any help,  Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Reege Here's an article that explains everything you need to know about the HP Support Assistant: click here,

That said, if it doesn't work though you've done all that, I suggest you create a new user account and then install the software to check if that works.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Reege This error "volume bitmap is incorrect" may be caused by several reasons, such as hard disk failure, bad sectors on hard drive, corrupt bitmap attribute, sudden power failure, virus attack and so on, that said, the best way to run a hardware test, is using the HP Diagnostics, here's what I suggest you do:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

Click Extensive Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me.  I had to repartition drive drive and clean install windows 10 in order to get rid of the error message,  Unfortunately, I have couple small issues that I need help with.  First, I lookin for the software that kept my drivers and such updated.  It would notify me whenever an update was available for my computer and/or printers.  I thought it was the support assistant, but it doesn't install that icon in he task bar.  Second, running the system detection program on the HP website no longer finds my computer,  Third, I didn't get a Windows Recovery partition with any data.  There is a partition available but its empty.     Thanks,  Reege

HP Recommended

@Reege The answer to all your queries depends on how you've reset the windows? did you make use of the HP Recovery partition (F11) or did you use the HP recovery media? 
If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here

And yes, it is the HP Support Assistant that helps with installing new updates and notifying you of the same, you were right: click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Again, thanks for the responses, You have been most helpful.  I downloaded the Support Assistant, but upon installing I received the following message,

Feature Transfer Error

Error: - 1605 This action is only valid for products that are already currently installed.

I guess I need to install  something else first,  ??

HP Recommended

@Reege Here's an article that explains everything you need to know about the HP Support Assistant: click here,

That said, if it doesn't work though you've done all that, I suggest you create a new user account and then install the software to check if that works.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.