Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
7HX82UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I recently purchased a HP 17-by1071cl laptop through a guy from offer up. I found an issue with the laptop when I was trying to update the bios through HP support assistant.  Windows 10 pro was already installed on the computer. After updating the bios, the laptop did reset . However, an issue came out with trying to load windows. It would not let me. Also, strangely, it showed another user was on the computer. I called the original seller and never got a response back. I decided to take out the laptop apart and replace the 1 TB HDD which came with the laptop and replaced it with a new samsung 1TB SSD. I ordered a new genuine windows 10 pro from Microsoft with the DVD installation. Waiting to receive it  through the mail. I did not have any important files. Hopefully it takes of the issue with the unknown user. Im not sure if the original user of this computer added a bios type password. My brother suggested me to look for the cmos battery on the laptop computer and take it out for a bit and then reinstall it. I took the laptop apart to locate the cmos battery. I cannot find the cmos battery. Does this model have the cmos battery?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@VICTOR92 

It may be that the former owner added a BIOS password -- but removing the CMOS battery in laptops does nothing to reset any passwords.  So, if it does have a BIOS password, you are stuck because that is encrypted into the firmware of a chip on the system board and that chip is not replaceable.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Ok. Let me see what happens when I install the new windows 10 into the laptop.  Does this particular HP model actually have a cmos battery? Im hoping it going to allow me to access the bios and determine if it indeed as a bios password. If it does, what can I do? Do I contact HP? Would I bring the computer directly in person to them?

Thanks for the reply as well

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.