Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 250 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

A little over a year ago I spent £600 on a HP laptop. This has now stopped working just outside warrenty. It kept coming up with Blue screens and kept crashing. I managed to enter UETI menu by pressing escape then F2.

By running component test on memory I kept getting failed. I tried swapping the Ram to the other slot. Same issue. I've brought 2*Corsair Vengence 8GB 2666MHz giving 16GB. Run the test again, same problem. Tried only one stick on Ram. Same problem, swapped that stick to other slot, same problem.

Tried the other stick, same problem. Whilst it is possible the Ram itself is faulty this seems highly unlikely as the computer was running fine and then wasnt. What are the odds I have 3 sticks of Ram all faulty.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Currently I've just given HP £600 for 13 months of laptop.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't recommend using gaming memory in HP notebooks, unless they came with it.

The reason is because the timings are faster in the gaming memory, and it usually doesn't work where standard memory that has the slower standard clock speed timings is required.

My opinion is the original chip failed, and the gaming chips are not compatible.

I suggest you use the standard compatible Crucial memory chips that are recommended for your notebook....the ones with the green circuit boards.  Buy the speed that is supported by your notebook's processor, or the speed of the original memory chip if it is not 2133 MHz.  2133 MHz memory...use DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp business notebooks | HP 250 G7 (Intel Core i7/ i5/ i3) ...

Before you buy anything, put the original memory back in, and post the 24 character failure code that the BIOS F2 memory test generated if that is what you received.

HP Recommended

The original speed of the Kingston memory was 2666Hz. I just assumed it would work with any other similar speed ram as I couldn't really find anything saying it wouldn't. As suggested I've removed it and tested the other.

Failure Id: QC42M3-A5FAP8-XD7U2J-40N803.  This is memory module 2. It is worth noting this is the same error I get when using the Corsair Ram.

The other error when using the other slot is QC42M3-A5FAP8-XD7U2J-40E403 Memory module 1.

HP Recommended

OK, I ran both codes through the HP failure code reader, and they both indicated memory module failure and not something worse like a motherboard issue.

So, the only suggestion I can offer, would be to return the Corsair memory and buy two of these...

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA266 | Crucial UK

I am pretty sure if you compare the timing specs of the Corsair memory you bought, they will be faster (a lower number) than 19-19-19, for the above Crucial DDR4-2666 memory chip spec is.

HP Recommended

Hi,

II've purchased some crucial 2x 8GB 2666 Ram. That was on the link as a  valid component. It is the type recommended by yourself as well.

I have tried both sticks in both slots and I still come up with the same above error. When looking at system info it does this time give full information with serial number which the corsair did not.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Henry

HP Recommended

Hi, Henry:

Sorry that replacing the memory with known compatible memory didn't work.

I find that very surprising and unfortunate.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to see if doing a forced or hard reset of the notebook clears that error.

Hard or Force Reset a Fixed Battery | HP Notebooks | @HPSupport - YouTube

If that doesn't work either, unfortunately I would have to conclude there must be a motherboard issue, even though the failure codes are only reporting faulty memory.

HP Recommended

Hi,

My laptop type isn't on there so I tried pressing down the power button for 15 seconds. No success. Tried the same with the original stick of memory and the new. No success. I even tried just removing the battery and re-inserting to make sure the thing was off. No success.

Is that it then? I've used the laptop for probably less than 100 hours, spent £600 on it and it is just e-waste now? If it is the end I will just strip the hard drives out and save the data. Just a real disappointment. Certainly puts me off getting any HP products in the future.

If you or anyone has any further suggestions they are most welcome.

Regards,

Henry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.