Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
250g5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, first post using this forum. 

The HP laptop is just 16 months old. Last night it had two random lockups whilst powered on and in use. Nothing more than internet browsing (reading text) was taking place at the time.

The lockups lasted for ~20 seconds each approx 10 minutes apart . At the end of the second lockup the laptop just powered off and hasnt come on since. 

Power is getting to the device; the power light on the side of the laptop lights up when charger is connected. 

I tried a hard reset with battery removal and holding the power button but it doesnt respond; it is like the laptop is dead.

Does anyone have any advice?  I have not decided to take it apart yet and check any connectors. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Any thoughts from anyone? 

HP Recommended

Anyone from HP have any thoughts?

HP Recommended

Anyone have anything?

HP Recommended

Anything? 

HP Recommended

15414193647806755458494999551182.jpg

So, I took it apart. Power is getting to the CPU fan, this can be confirmed because when the charger is switched on, the fan pulses; typical of a surge of power.

I guess the on/off switch could be faulty? Any advice?

HP Recommended

Any thoughts anyone? 

HP Recommended

Hello? Proving quite the popular topic

HP Recommended

Looks like I found the problem.

HP Recommended

It's a HP laptop..

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.