Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 530
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have installed Windows 10 on my old HP 530, T2600 over the weekend. I previously had Windows 7 and also upgraded to a SSD. Bootspeed was in the region of 20sec - which was amazing. After I have installed Windows 10 - which should be quicker??? - supposed, my boot time is sitting at 67 sec. with Windows 10. I'm so dissapointed. Any way in which the experts can tell me what is wrong? I'm on 2GB ram for info.

Could it be the BIOS? There is no updated BIOS on Windows 10 as far as I could see on the HP site.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The slow boot time is probably caused by some hardware with which Windows 10 has a compatibility issue. It might be BIOS compatibility with the security features of Windows 10 who knows? But there will never be another BIOS issued for that machine. It was designed to run Vista and Vista and 7 are first cousins but only distant ancestors of Windows 10. I mean obviously you have proven Windows 7 is the right "fit" for that hardware which should not be too surprising.

We get the issue in both directions. People with brand new Kaby Lake laptops designed to run Windows 10 want to run Windows 7 and we also get folks with "classic" 32 bit Vista-era machines who want to run Windows 10. The end result is generally disappointment and frustration. 

If you simply must run Windows 10 I can ask if you have any errors noted in Device Manager, missing drivers I mean? Until you get the right chipset, storage controller and video drivers installed boot time can be slow. 

HP Recommended

Thanks, I did a clean install of Win10 and i'm booting much quicker again...back to 40sec - which is still slower than 20sec. BUT i'm happy!

HP Recommended

Windows 10 working okay with 2 gig's ram though? Is that do-able? Also wondering if this machine can handle more than the max mentioned 2 gig ram it's apparently only up gradable to.

HP Recommended

940 chipset can usually be coaxed to run 3 gigs (2 + 1) but not 4. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.