Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 840G2
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

A few days ago I started having problems booting up my laptop.  Shortly after i get to the screen where I enter my password on bootup the computer shuts down.  After lots of trial and error (including removing the battery) I realized that constantly holding the power button down the computer works perfectly!  

I've MacGyvered a workaround using a clamp to hold the power button down but obviously that's not a great long term solution 😞  Does anyone have ideas what's going on?  The other strange thing is that when I hold down f2 to get to the diagnostic screen the system works fine without the power button held down.

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jss127 

My guess is that your circuit leads underneath the power button have deformed over time.  This can result in lack of reliable contact, forcing you to hold down the button, but it can also lead to intermittent shorts -- even when you are not pressing the button.

When you are in Windows, that circuit is constantly being monitored and if there is a sudden short, Windows will power off the PC, thinking you pressed the button.

But the BIOS does not do that monitoring, so there, you would have to press the button yourself to power off the PC.

To check this out will be expensive because intermittent faults can not be reliably checked and your only recourse is likely to be having the power button and contacts replaced and that will require disassembling the laptop -- not something you should attempt.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks again for your insight. Is there any way to stop Windows from checking the power button?  The laptop works perfectly with the clamp in place. Hate to spend money on this older laptop.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.