Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 11 (4,091 Views)

HP BIOS Update Writing New BIOS update frozen at 0 progress

I have a Pavillion g6 1a19wm notebook computer. I've only had it a few months. Today I installed the new version of HP Support Assistant. Then it displayed notices about updating the BIOS. So I let it start downloading and installing the BIOS updates. After restarting, it started going through the HP BIOS update process, then froze at 0 progress when "writing new BIOS image" "Block 1 / 512". The screen also says not to shut down the computer or remove external power during this process. It's been frozen for about 3 hours so far. I've had the power cord connected the whole time.

I haven't attempted anything yet. I thought I'd try leaving it on overnight and see if it unfreezes, but I would think if it stays on too many more hours, it may become at risk of overheating. From what I've heard, BIOS problems sometimes can ruin a computer, so that's why I've been afraid to attempt anything yet.

Any suggestions?  

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 11 (4,087 Views)

Re: HP BIOS Update Writing New BIOS update frozen at 0 progress

It's still under warrantee so HP will have to deal with it.

You will have to do a forced shut down and chances are that when you boot up, you will get a black screen.

Try this, but lately it has not been working.

Hold down the "Windows" and "B" key at the same time and boot up. What this is supposed to do is access the last known good BIOS image in the HP Tools partition on the hard drive. However there have been many reports that this is not working.

A BIOS update accesses the information on a chip soldered to the mother board, when the update goes wrong it's very difficult to enter the correct information on a corrupted update. Most time a repair shop will simply replace the mother board.

If you are not successful rescuing your BIOS, then contact HP and let them handle it, it's their problem.

Top Student
Message 3 of 11 (4,072 Views)

Thanks, HaggisCat. I'm trying to research a little more information before I make the attempt. I'll probably wait till tomorrow to try it.  But if that doesn't work, thankfully at least it's still under warranty. So far it's still frozen.

Regents Professor
Message 4 of 11 (4,069 Views)

Make sure to prop up the rear of the laptop so the intake has good air intake flow, as you said, you don't want it to overheat. You don't want the CPU and GPU getting too hot. In the state that it's in, it won't know to automatically shut down if it is getting to hot.

Frankly it simply does not take that long to update the BIOS chip _ five minutes at most, but not hours, if it hasn't done anything by now, it won't.

Top Student
Message 5 of 11 (4,063 Views)

Thanks, again. I started to figure it's stuck and there's probably no point in leaving it on the rest of the night. I had set it over an open box to allow for air circulation. I checked it a few minutes ago and it didn't  feel very warm, but I still don't want to risk overheating. I thought I'd try your suggestion in a few minutes. If that doesn't help, I'll contact HP tomorrow. I just hope it didn't turn into a brick. I forgot where I read this now in my search, but it was a comment that updating the BIOS is risky and as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Anyway, I think this will end up being a hard lesson learned. I hate getting blindsided with some problem I've never encountered before but didn't know enough to know what questions I should have asked beforehand.

Top Student
Message 6 of 11 (4,059 Views)

Just tried to force a shutdown. Pressing the On/Off button didn't do anything. I unplugged it and that didn't do anything. Closing the lid didn't do anything, either. I guess it'll stay on till the battery runs out? For this model, when using it unplugged, the maximum time before the battery needs recharging was 4 hours, so hopefully it'll run out soon. Meanwhile, having it sitting across the top of an open box does seem to help keep air flowing well enough, at least so far.

At this point, I'm going to wait till tomorrow to contact HP.

Regents Professor
Message 7 of 11 (4,054 Views)

At times when it's stuck in a BIOS update the power button will have to be held down for around a minute, most times less. You can also remove the battery too to shut it down.

Honor Student
Message 8 of 11 (2,943 Views)

I ALSO MET THE SAME PROBLEM TODAY,, I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

Regents Professor
Message 9 of 11 (2,935 Views)

Hello JOHNM9985,

What is your product number and operating system?  Also, can you describe your issue?  You say you have the same problem too, but there are several posts ahead of it, and you don't specify anything.

Thanks,

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Message 10 of 11 (2,923 Views)

I have a HP PAvilion p7-1154 desktop that I just installed Windows 7 Professional with SP1 (64 bit).  I was downloading the different drivers from the HP site (wireless, graphic, chipset-USB, etc.) and came across a BIOS update and thought I would install that before installing any new software.

However, after about 1 min, the keyboard and mouse stopped working (expected) but now the progress screen has been frozen at about 5% for over 30 minutes now when the whole update was only supposed to take 3 minutes.

I'm hesitant to do a hard reboot.

Please advise.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation