Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A new EliteBook 840 G2. I just entered the BIOS setup in order to add a BIOS password for security, save the password and exited.

Before doing the above when I cold booted my laptop all I would see is the "HP" blue logo and the system wold almost immediately boot into Windows 10. Since I added the password I now get this message in the bottom left of the initial BIOS screen with the HP logo: " "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu ". And the BIOS seems to take 8-10 seconds longer before it actually boots into Windows.

I can only suspect that I inadvertently changed some other BIOS setting. 

Does anyone know how to get rid of this extra boot time and that message?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@lagagnon 

It's YOUR PC so it's YOUR choice -- but personally, I feel a BIOS password is a really bad idea.

HP used to send SMC.bin files to folks who forgot their BIOS passwords, so it was a simple fix to get access back. But, they no longer do that and now, charge for a complete replacement of the system board -- which can run into hundreds of dollars worth of fees.  So, the fix is no longer cheap or easy.

If it were mine, I would go in and remove the BIOS password, especially if that gets the performance back to what it was previously.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@lagagnon 

It's YOUR PC so it's YOUR choice -- but personally, I feel a BIOS password is a really bad idea.

HP used to send SMC.bin files to folks who forgot their BIOS passwords, so it was a simple fix to get access back. But, they no longer do that and now, charge for a complete replacement of the system board -- which can run into hundreds of dollars worth of fees.  So, the fix is no longer cheap or easy.

If it were mine, I would go in and remove the BIOS password, especially if that gets the performance back to what it was previously.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks - yes, figured that out- The longer boot occurred after I enabled a BIOS password. Got rid of it and now do not have the "Press the ESC key..." message and a much faster boot to the OS. 

Thinking about it now you might be right about a BIOS password being a bad idea. My thoughts in the past were that if someone got hold of my laptop they could wipe my OS, but really, if the thing was stolen that's probably what I would want to happen anyway! 

Also thanks for the heads up about no SMC.bin files now!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.