Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 in
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Laptop progressed automatically to updating. After attempt msg stated could not update & was "undoing changes." Has made several attempts to update over a period of four hours since with same result.

After checking forums, I have tried turning off the computer & starting in safe mode by pressing the F8 key. The computer starts, but goes directly to the same update screen & refuses to go into safe mode. I am unable to get past the updating screen.

Thanks for any insight.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sense Windows 8 pressing F8 no longer works without running some commands in CMD.  Press F11 when powering on the machine and it should load a recovery envirement.  Select your Keyboard layout, select troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Startup Settings, reboot.  When the menu comes up read the options and select safe mode.  I believe it is 6 that we want.  When it boots and logs in you will be presented with a Command Prompt.  Enter rstrui.exe and it should load System Restore.  Select a restore point before the issue and restore to that.  This should solve your issue as i had a friend with the same issue and this solved it for them.

Please remember to select the answer

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Sense Windows 8 pressing F8 no longer works without running some commands in CMD.  Press F11 when powering on the machine and it should load a recovery envirement.  Select your Keyboard layout, select troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Startup Settings, reboot.  When the menu comes up read the options and select safe mode.  I believe it is 6 that we want.  When it boots and logs in you will be presented with a Command Prompt.  Enter rstrui.exe and it should load System Restore.  Select a restore point before the issue and restore to that.  This should solve your issue as i had a friend with the same issue and this solved it for them.

HP Recommended

Thank you this worked perfectly. The restoration process took a while, but was worth it ultimately. If you are in the same situation just be patient, make sure your computer remains on, and allow it the time it needs to move through the restore process. 

HP Recommended
Hi, dudefoxlive--wondering if you have any idea what might be happening now. Same as last time with the updates, and I went through same steps to set a restore point. It never put me into sage mode, though--just restarted after all of those steps to the same "undoing changes" screen. I've tried twice with same result.
HP Recommended

yup one of my friends had this issue and this is what fixed it.  Sadly i tried this on Windows 7 as Windows thought it was a good idea to install almost 180 updates and failed while configuering them.  i tried to restore through system restore and it did not work.  Would not let me in safe mode.

HP Recommended

Even the system recovery window is not showing up when pressing F11. What shall I do??

HP Recommended

I’m also having the same problem. 
I try the first suggestion and it gets stuck again!

HP Recommended

@JessieJane

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the model number or the product number?

Which version of Windows in installed?

Meanwhile :

Perform hard reset:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Can you help me as well. I don't have a restore point and my laptop keeps on restarting when it is trying to undo the changes. I tried all the choices on advance options but they are not working at all. 

HP Recommended

@Marles

Welcome to HP support community.

Provide the model number or the product number of the notebook?

Which version of Windows in installed?

Meanwhile :

Perform hard reset:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.