Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I made some OS updates and restarted it to complete the updates, but after i restarted it, it just didn't boot, there was only a black screen withou any text on it.

The only solution to this was to disconnect the battery and the power cord, then i plugged in the charger and the battery again and tried to turn it on, but it didn't work, when i pressed the power button nothing happens, not even some lights.

The thing is that the laptop looks like it is supplied with power, when i plug in the power cord the charger LED stays on for about 5 seconds, then it turns off.

PS: i've already tried to keep the power button pressed for about 1 minute but nothing worked.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
Same thing here. My Compaq CQ61 won't power on, no fan and no lights. Charging light come on when I remove the battery. Did hard reset, tried powering it on from AC only but nothing works. What do I do?
HP Recommended

Same thing. The exact model for me is cq61-420S0. While attempting a hard start the power light near the cord will light up for about 5-10 seconds but nothing else will happen, not beeping sounds nor caps/numlock flashes.

I've reseted the RAM and tried hard start so far, and will try to clean the dusts out of the system but after that I'll be out of solutions. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello MixavitaPlus,

Your computer will not boot.

It’s likely that the motherboard has gone bad on the laptop.

If updates were applied before the system stopped working you may try to roll back your BIOS to a previous version.

Here is a link that will walk you through the steps.

Also do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

Let me know how everything goes

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Well, thanks for the reply which I wasn't expecting, these 2 other fellas have been hanging here for 2 years.

Anyways, as I said in my post, I did try a "hard start" aka hard reset but it doesn't have any effect. Quess it's time to change the mobo. Thanks for that piece of information, I can handle it from here.

HP Recommended

Exept, this laptop is rather old, and spare parts are hard to find. HP site doesn't even recognize the product code WE069EA#UUW. Could there be a different matching piece of motherboard or could you tell me where could I find a genuine one, other sources than ebay?

HP Recommended

MixavitaPlus,

I wasn’t able to find the exact motherboard for you system, but most anything on eBay is OK.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended
cq61 not turn on and when turn on its only for 3 seconds! pls help ! tks
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.