Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 14-an010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recovered some data off of this laptop [ HP Notebook - 14-an010na ] for a family member and they wanted a complete reinstall of Windows so I formated the Hard Drive on my desktop PC and then used Microsofts Windows 10 Installation Media I have on a USB to install a fresh copy of windows 10. I also updated it to latest windows 10 20H2 update. The hard drive boots fine in another PC. However in this laptop the Hard Drive doesn't appear in the boot menu.
In the system diagnostics doing a quick hard drive check produces no errors.

I completed a Quick Memory Check to see what it would say and it passed.

I downloaded the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to a USB stick and ran the tests on the laptop/HDD.

The quick HDD test passed fine.

The second text produced a warning - "RECOMMENDED ACTION" with pass ID: 20826-7421867654.

I then ran an Extensive systme test which failed on the HDD/SSD Short DST Check with FAILURE ID:

0GAEL2-8HCAKT-MFGK7A-60XC03.

I went onto HP support and it said: HP Hard drive check has Identified a critical failure in your system that requires repair.So to me it looks like either the BIOS hates my installation of windows or the ribbon cable connecting to the HDD is bust? But surely if the cable is bust the diagnostic tool wouldn't check the HDD to begin with?

Any suggestions as to what I can do to bring the Laptop back to working order?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The W10 license/product key is in the PC's BIOS and there should be no reason that I know of why you can't clean install W10 by using the Microsoft media creation tool to create a plain W10 installation flash drive.

But you can also use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...you will need another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer and a 32 GB USB flash drive to create the recovery drive.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Do you have another 2.5" drive you can install to test it out in the notebook and install W10 from the notebook and not another PC?

99% of the time when you get one of the 24 character HDD failure ID codes, it means the drive is on its way out, or already gone.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. I have a small SSD I am borrowing off a friend I can install Windows 10 to but I don't have the original copy of Windows that was on the laptop anymore. Does HP do something that requires the original copy of Windows? As if this is the case I'm guessing there is no way to get a copy other than the laptop?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The W10 license/product key is in the PC's BIOS and there should be no reason that I know of why you can't clean install W10 by using the Microsoft media creation tool to create a plain W10 installation flash drive.

But you can also use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with the notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...you will need another Windows PC running W7 64 bit or newer and a 32 GB USB flash drive to create the recovery drive.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

So an update for you. I have sorted the laptop. I got another USB and installed a new copy of the Windows media creation tool on it and the laptop allowed me to boot to it and install windows 10. I did try the HP recovery tool as well but the recovery partition did not exist anymore so the tool would fail after the inital setup. Thank you for the help 🙂

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I've never had that happen to me before with the cloud recovery tool-created media.

I have used it on two different notebooks that had blank hard drives and it reinstalled the factory image just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.