Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I could need some help with my x2 1012.

When I deploy the machine with factory settings in BIOS and I PXE boot to deploy it with the REPSET file and its settings it all works fine, Windows 8.1 installs and I can log on. (Using the USB Gigabit Eth adapter)

The problem starts when I reinstall it with the same task sequense. The OSD stops and wants me to select a network to connect to. I can see that I am connected with my USB Ethernet adapter to our network. (I skip it) and the OSD continues but fails later on.

My REPSET looks like this.

English
TPM Device
Hidden
*Available
TPM State
Disable
*Enable
Clear TPM
*No
On next boot
TPM Activation Policy
F1 to Boot
Allow user to reject
*No prompts

Have I missed something in my REPSET file?
I cant really understand what makes this fail...

Could need some help.

HP Recommended

@Nodde wrote:

My experience in this matter is that it isn´t the docking station that is the problem, it's the usb-c port (or a combination).

When I just enter bios setup and then leave bios, without doing any changes, the usb c-port stops working, regardless if the docking station or a usual usb-c flash memory is in the port.

I hold the power button for about 12 seconds and then the port is working again after boot.

When the port is empty and I do the same thing (in and out of bios setup) the port is still working.

I managed to see network option in bootorder setup in bios after I unplugged the dock and waited a while before I plugged it in and enter bios. The problem is that when I have changed bootorder to network boot, saved settings and reebooted, the port stopped working and the LAN-port is unreachable.

I have updated bios to 1.12 A 1 - still the same.

I have the same problem on 5 different x2 models.

I have an ongoing case at HP support but still no solution.

The dock I´m using is HP Elite USB-C Docking Station(T3V74AA)

Anyone else experience the thing with usb-c port or is it just docking station that is your problem.

Hi there, update it to BIOS 1.13 that will fix the missing usb-c port issue. Heres the link: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=8741948&swItemId=ob_163044_1&swEnvOid=419...

unrelated but... Theres also a new Thunderbolt firmware update you might want to install incase you are going to use the TB usb-c dock later on: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=8741948&swItemId=ob_161907_1&swEnvOid=419...

HP Recommended

Thank you, that fixed the usb-c problem! :generic:

HP Recommended

i am using the HP USB 3.0 to Gigabit LAN adapter (N7P47AA) for pxe boot

any one encounter when the pxe process do a restart to continue, the ethernet will lose connection and failed the pxe process?

HP Recommended

@Michael2016 wrote:

Can you confirm that you must use the HP USB 3.0 to Gigabit LAN Adapter (N7P47AA) in order to PXE boot? In other words, you cannot PXE boot from the USB-C dock itself?

I am no longer having success with this dock and PXE booting. It worked a couple of times soon after the firmware update to 1.12 but it doesn't work any more. 

I can also relate to what other users are saying when they mention that they cannot see any Ethernet LEDs light up. The Ethernet LEDs never light up.

It looks as though the USB-C dock stays on standby mode with the dock LED slowly flashing on and off.

Hi Michael 2016,

I received the X2 1012 and USB-C dock recently. Started setting it up today and ran into the PXE boot problem when trying to put our Windows image on it. I updated the BIOS to 1.13 Rev.A and followed all the instructions on the advisory without any success.

My experience is that the lights on the NIC flash but there is a message during the PXE boot saying No USB nic found.

I am using legacy boot, not UEFI. Is this the same for you?

HP Recommended

@mr_ng_89 wrote:

i am using the HP USB 3.0 to Gigabit LAN adapter (N7P47AA) for pxe boot

any one encounter when the pxe process do a restart to continue, the ethernet will lose connection and failed the pxe process?

try updating the BIOS to 1.13 after that restore defaults in bios and retest. turn off fast boot also..

HP Recommended

@TheG-Man wrote:

@Michael2016 wrote:

Can you confirm that you must use the HP USB 3.0 to Gigabit LAN Adapter (N7P47AA) in order to PXE boot? In other words, you cannot PXE boot from the USB-C dock itself?

I am no longer having success with this dock and PXE booting. It worked a couple of times soon after the firmware update to 1.12 but it doesn't work any more. 

I can also relate to what other users are saying when they mention that they cannot see any Ethernet LEDs light up. The Ethernet LEDs never light up.

It looks as though the USB-C dock stays on standby mode with the dock LED slowly flashing on and off.

Hi Michael 2016,

I received the X2 1012 and USB-C dock recently. Started setting it up today and ran into the PXE boot problem when trying to put our Windows image on it. I updated the BIOS to 1.13 Rev.A and followed all the instructions on the advisory without any success.

My experience is that the lights on the NIC flash but there is a message during the PXE boot saying No USB nic found.

I am using legacy boot, not UEFI. Is this the same for you?

is the dock detected in windows? mabe usb c port is dead.  try hold down power button for 10 secs in widnows to reset the nvram. and retest.

HP Recommended

IknowStuff wrote:

is the dock detected in windows? mabe usb c port is dead.  try hold down power button for 10 secs in widnows to reset the nvram. and retest.

It works perfectly in Windows. The CD rom appeared, which holds the drivers and they all installed fine.

I've ordered the USB-Ethernet adapter mentioned in this thread to see if I have better luck with that.

Edit: However, it would be good to get it working with the USB-C dock rather than buy a stock of USB adapters for our PC builders.

HP Recommended

I'm receiving exact the same error with the HP Elite X2 1012 G1.

I've updated the bios to the latest version and now I am able to boot pxe.

My BIOS is set to Legacy mode, but I assume this won't be a problem. 

The Led light from the USB-C dock is on when I boot into Windows, however when I try to boot from PXE it's off. 

So in Windows evrything works like a charm, but I just won't be able to PXE boot. 

I'm receiving the following error. 

PXE-ED1: No USB nic found

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

I already tried all the above things you mentioned, but nothing works. 

Would be nice if there is a solution for this problem. 

HP Recommended

Here's what works for me:

1. Update to latest BIOS - AFAIK this is currently v1.13A
  2. Disconnect USB-C cable
  3. Press and hold power button on the x2 for at least 10 seconds to drain the tablet of power
  4. Connect USB-C cable
  5. Wait 5 seconds or so until the dock is ready (it should come out of standby)
  6. Power on the x2
  7. PXE Boot
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.