Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So im having issues with the touchpad on my Elitebook. I'm running windows 10 64-bit. The touchpad randomly freezes and doesnt work, but if i was to put the computer to sleep and start it back up it works again, and will then randomly freeze again.

The USB mouse works perfectly, with no problems. Im currently using Synaptics. I have updated/downgraded different types of drivers and researched the internet, but i can't seem to find any fixes. 

PLEASE HELP. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

pez307

Please update the driver and the BIOS

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Sorry, updating the Bios didn´t solve the problem.

I have the same Issue on my Laptop (HP Elitebook 840 G2). OS is Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit.

Updated nearly every driver on this Laptop including BIOS to the latest version. But the problem is still there.

Anyone got an idea to fix this issue?

Greetings

HP Recommended

This is an issue I've experienced with my G2 ever since Windows 10 came out (even before, in the pre-release Insider program) and it still occurs to this day.  In particular, this happens if Explorer.exe gets reset (kill/restart, or crash/restart, etc) without a reboot.

To solve it, you can create a .BAT file and paste this into it.  Right click, run as admin when it starts happening.  It will kill the syntpenh.exe process and restart it which is a Synaptic thing.

@echo off
rem FOR RESETTING SYNAPTICS MOUSE DRIVER
rem HELPFUL FOR WHEN MOUSE REGULARLY FREEZES AFTER EXPLORER.EXE HANGS
rem OR SCROLL/GESTURES STOP WORKING RANDOMLY
taskkill -f -im syntpenh.exe
pushd C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP
start "" "syntpenh.exe"
popd
exit /b

Alternatively, you could probably just open up Task Manager (CTRL+SHFT+ESC - or - CTRL ALT DELETE -> Task Manager) and kill syntpenh.exe and then navigate to C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP and run syntpenh.exe to restart it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.