Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 17 Touchsmart left hinge broken

P:E1P13AV s:5CG349591M
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have bought this laptop with high configuration in Nov 2013, on March 2014 I found the Left Hinge broken, I keep on using for some time then keep using with external monitor, now i wanted to get it fixed, and noone fixing it saying no parts available, please help me to fix it.

3 REPLIES
Retired Omar-E
Retired
10015 119 416
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@ankitShah

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
0 Kudos
Risto_H Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

I seem to have the same issue with a 17 months used Envy 17-j165eo. The machine has been kept carefully, opened and closed a couple of times per day but still the internal screw mounts of the left hinge have now totally given up.

I only noticed the issue when the machine complained about main fan problem at boot. Checked it and it wasn't turning at all and then noticed that the left hinge was really loose. Later investigation revealed that the black plastic had broken around the screws and small plastic paricles had gone into the fan, stopping it.

I cleaned the fan and chassis of the plastic debris and the machine works just fine but have to figure out how to fix the hinge. Apparently there are two possibilities:

1) HP replaces the top cover under warranty, even though the basic warranty period is only 12 months. However, in my opinion this is a design problem and/or material problem that should be fixed even a bit after the original warranty is over.

2) I fix it myself by fabricating a new hinge support from carbon fiber sheet and adding new M3 screws through the top cover. This won't be pretty but much stronger than the original...

I hope I can get this fixed with HP though.

Here's an image that shows the problem clearly:

HP Envy 17 left hinge.jpg

0 Kudos
16403 212 859
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Risto_H

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation