Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

-----------

Product name : Envy 6 Notebook

Product nb : B6H29EA

BIOS version Insyde F.16

System Board ID: 1896

-----------

Hi everybody,

It seems that my laptop is unable to boot from USB. I know that many different post already cover this topic and I tried to read all of them before posting.

I've tried with several usb drive from which I've already booted on another PC.

My last attemp was with a disk-repair-disk live USB drive that supports EFI and BIOS.

Here are the main parameters of the BIOS:

• USB3.0 Configuration in Pres-OS: Enabled (I also tried with Auto)
  • Intel Rapid Start Technology:  Enabled (I also tried with Disable)
  • Boot option, Legacy support:
    • when Enabled, the PC freezes on a black screen after displaying something like "Press ESC to access boot options..."
    • when Disabled, it reboot endlessly
  • Boot option / Secure Boot: Disabled
  • Boot option / both UEFI and  Legacy Boot order: USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Disk is on first position

To resume, I tried to boot from a couple of EFI / BIOS bootable USB drive that I had already tested. When I try to boot in EFI mode (legacy support disabled) it reboots indefinitely. When I try in BIOS mode (legacy support on), it get stuck on a black screen.

What I have tested:

• change all the above parameters
  • reload EFI Setup default values
  • try with different bootable USB drives

I also tried to update the "BIOS" to F.23. To do so, I downloaded the tool (SP60574.exe) provided by HP here. Unfortunately, this tool is only usefull to update the BIOS on the target machine and since I can't access windows, it's not possible. In addition, It can't be used to update the BIOS via the HP System Diagnostics tool (as explained in this guide).

I hope everythig is clear and I thank you in advance for your support.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
22,375 22,331 1,878 2,992
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 6 Notebook can't boot from USB drive

@Troscred

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand your HP Envy 6 Notebook can't boot from a bootable USB drive,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Are you using the Recovery media as the bootable USB Disk and if not, what exactly is on that USB Stick?

Did you know that HP Does not recommend using a retail version of Windows and would only support the installation of Windows via the HP Recovery media?

While you respond to that, If you are attempting to update the BIOS and cannot go through as the PC no longer boots into Windows, you could try the alternative method:

Click here to see this video in full screen on YouTube

Note: the instructions are on the same link you had shared when you scroll down further. 😉

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Troscred
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Are you using the Recovery media as the bootable USB Disk and if not, what exactly is on that USB Stick?

I'm not using the Recovery media, my last attempt was with boot-repair-disk.

Did you know that HP Does not recommend using a retail version of Windows and would only support the installation of Windows via the HP Recovery media?

I'm not trying to install a new version of Windows. I'm trying to launch any usb-bootable OS in order to get the datas on the Windows partition. But I'm not looking for an alternate way to do this. I'm trying to figure out how to boot from USB.

If you are attempting to update the BIOS and cannot go through as the PC no longer boots into Windows, you could try the alternative method:

Click here to see this video in full screen on YouTube

Note: the instructions are on the same link you had shared when you scroll down further. 😉

I already read that guide. It seems that the tool provided in "BIOS" category of the download page is for the target machine only. Go and find SP60574.exe and try it yourself if necessary.

screenshot.png

This screen never shows up. The tool immediately tries and fails to update the BIOS on the machine from which it's launched. Which is cleary not the goal.

I'm still interested in how to create a recovery USB media.

Thanks again for your support

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Troscred

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I recommend you go through the steps mentioned on this link to boot from the USB media: Click here for instructions.

If the issue persists, perhaps you should try with an alternate USB stick or check the USB with another PC to ensure it's working.

Also, if the computer is booting into Windows, you can create the recovery USB media using the instructions mentioned on this link:

Click here for details, alternatively, you may obtain one either online or via phone: Click here for more information.

If the bootable disk works on an alternate PC and yet doesn't work on yours, I recommend you revert to an earlier form of BIOS using the BIOS recovery options: Click here for details

If this doesn't work either, Contact HP to set up a repair/replacement service order:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Troscred
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher

Thanks for you informations.

I just found out how to boot from any EFI device.

By going to the boot manager (F9 on startup) I could choose the option Boot from EFI file and then browse my usb key and select the boot.efi file. The USB key is not listed as bootable device, though. Maybe that boot.efi file isn't at the expected location.

Anyway that resolved my issue.

Thanks again for your support 😉

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Troscred

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
jkqz
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had a similar problem with an HP Envy 6 Notebook, but did not find any BIOS options for Secure Boot, Legacy Support, UEFI; only the Legacy Boot Order list.  Maybe a different BIOS version.  I moved USB Diskette on Key/USB Hard Disk to the top but initially to no avail.

I eventually found that the bootable USB device would only be detected if plugged into the USB 2.0 port (on the right hand side of the laptop) - it would not be detected if plugged into either of the USB 3.0 ports (on the left hand side).  Then after pressing Esc after power-on followed by F9 for boot options, the USB device was listed (along with notebook hard disk and EFI file) and could thus be booted from.

Hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation