cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
TimH53150
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Envy Laptop HDD failure

HP Recommended
HP Envy 15 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The factory HDD crashed. I have a replacement to install, but need to get install media for the original HDD

How do I get the installers? Windows 10 Registration?

3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
141,225 64,789 22,020 33,933
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your notebook was made in 2016 or later it may be supported by the HP cloud recovery tool which you can use to make a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

If your notebook is not supported by the HP cloud recovery tool, you can make your own plain W10 installation media using the media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

The W10 product key is in the BIOS.  You don't need it to reinstall W10.

If you upgraded to W10 from an older operating system (W7, W8, W8.1) if you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
TimH53150
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I followed the steps in the reply. Ran the HP Recovery Tool as an Administrator on 5 different 32 GB USB flash drives and 1 64

GB USB flash drive. All attempts made it to the same point. Window comes up with:

Contact HP Support

The recovery media creation attempt has failed.

Please contact HP Support and provide the following information:

Serial Number: 1KS87UA#ABA

Error: 0xC00405

Only option is to click Finish.

Any suggestions? Tried virtual assistant and that was useless.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
141,225 64,789 22,020 33,933
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I would not be able to help you with getting the cloud recovery tool to work.

Go to plan B and make a bootable W10 installer using the Media Creation tool and reinstall W10 that way.

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page.

HP ENVY x360 - 15m-bq021dx Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation