Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptap 17m-bw0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I normally keep my laptop plugged in. When running on battery alone, it shuts off without warning around 35% battery life. How can I fix this? The BIOS is Insyde F.22, 11/8/2018. I haven't performed an update or anything. The battery is built into the laptop and cannot be removed.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jj987246 

You may not be able to -- at least, not easily.  The newer laptops that have non-replaceable batteries tend to be sealed and attempting to open them can seriously damage them.

You can check the battery to some extent using Powershell built into Windows 10. as follows:
1) Press Windows key + X
2) Click Powershell in the menu
3) Type powercfg /batteryreport

This will generate a report and if you scroll down, you will see Design Capacity and Full Charge Capacity ratings. If the Full Charge Capacity is less than 50% of the Design Capacity, it is faulty and needs to be replaced.

Also note the figure alongside the "Cycle Count". This tells how many times the battery has been fully recharged. A typical battery can handle around 500 charge cycles, but some will fail sooner than that.

IF the tests indicate a failing battery, unfortunately, we are not able, or permitted, to provide any repair estimates or equipment prices.

For this information, you would need to contact an HP Repair or Service Center.

Since you live in the U.S., here is a link to the HP Service Repair Centers:
https://www.service-center-locator.com/hp-hewlett-packard/hp-hewlett-packard-service-center.htm

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, WaWood! Built-in batteries sound like a serious design flaw. According to the report, the battery should be operating alright. The cycle count just has a dash next to it, so that's odd. 

Battery Life.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.