Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY x360 - 15t-aq200 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok, so I started having this problem shortly after getting my laptop brand new.  I thought maybe it was a windows update bug and maybe a restore would fix it.  I never got around to doing that, but my hard drive that was less than a year old died on me and I sent the laptop in for service under warranty.  Naturally, with a new hard drive Windows 10 was re-installed. The first time I left it on and walked away for a few minutes, it did it again.  So now I know it wasn't anything I installed or an updates that windows had done.

I don't know for sure if it's anything to do with the screen blanking for the timeout or if it was when it tried to go to sleep because I'm never in front of it when it happens and I don't have time to just sit around and watch it, but basically it freezes with the screen off and I have to hold the power button to turn the machine off and then turn it back on.

Is there any known fix for this?  I've read about other people having this problem as well, but no real solutions.  All I keep reading is support telling people to make sure they update their BIOS and to do a windows restore.  Well, tech support restored/updated my BIOS when they had it in for repairs, and they also put a fresh non-updated version of windows on the new HD.  So, that means those uptions are not going to work.  I've also tried doing all the windows updates and that hasn't fixed anything.

The BIOS has been updates to the latest as well as the firmware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated with solving this.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Oh, and I forgot to add...

If I manually put it to sleep (Windows+X -> Shut down or sign out -> Sleep), it seems to sleep and wake up without any problems.

HP Recommended

Still haven't figured out for sure what's causing the problem, but I disabled the screen timeout and walked away to do some things and one it hit the sleep timout it went to sleep perfectly fine.  I'm thinking it has something to do with the screen timeout.  Perhaps something in the drivers?  Will continue to investigate while I wait for anybody else's suggestions.

HP Recommended

Update...

Tried updating the video drivers to the latest intel drivers.  This was not easy as HP prevents that unless you manually do it through device manager instead of running the driver setup exe file.

That ddn't solve the problem.

It's definitely something to do with the screen blanking before it goes to sleep.  Whether it's on battery or pliugged in, if I set the display timeout to never it goes to sleep perfectly fine.  But if I enable the timeout, no matter the time setting it freezes when it tries to sleep.  If I press a keyu before the sleep time the screen comes on fine, so it's not the display blanking that's freezing it, but somehow a combination of the two.

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem but mine is an AMD Ryzen 7 rather than Intel machine. Did you ever find a solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.