Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy x360 13-AR0040AU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

My first post here so please bear with me. 

I have searched around a bit and not able to find anything helpful or directly related with my issue. Thus starting a new thread.

My laptop is as stock as it gets, no upgrades or modifications done. Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 updated to the day.

Sleep settings are set set to sleep when lid is closed, sleep when power button is pressed and sleep when on battery in 5 mins. The laptop still refuses to sleep. the screen turns off after 3 mins as per the setting in the power plan. After 5 mins the laptop does not sleep.

When the lid is closed the power button light remains on and if I peak into the keyboard the amber mute light on the F6 key also remains on.

When the power button is pressed the screen blanks and the laptop locks but does not sleep. The power and mute lights remain on.

During all the above 3 states the battery continues to drain as if the laptop is on.

So far I have tried reinstalling Windows.

Have installed HP support assistant and checked all drivers and bios are up to date.

All help will be appreciated. I have a couple of other issues that I want to post if this is being looked into promptly.

Need the issues sorted fairly fast as I need to decide if I want to adopt this laptop as my daily work laptop.

Thanks 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@GovindAgarwal

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

Please check these settings

1. Select the “Start” button, then type “device“.
  2. Open “Device Manager“.
  3. Expand the “Network adapters” section.
  4. Check under each of the options by right-clicking and selecting “Properties“.
  5. Uncheck the “Allow this device to wake the computer” box, then select “OK” for each network card.

Type in regedit on the Windows search bar to enter the registry editor:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Currentcontrolset\Session Manger\Power\AwayModeEnable

Change the value of AwayModeEnable to 0

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KT @KrazyToad,

Thank for your reply. There was not much traction showing up on this page so i was exploring other options to get things working. Luckily just a day before your post a local retailer here kindly agreed to clone an HP image of windows from a new laptop over to my laptop. So I have an original image now working on my laptop.

However I still do not feel I am confident it is working as it should or may be I do not completely understand this model of the laptop.

Here is what is happening, I have set the screen to turn off at 3mins and the laptop to sleep at 15mins. After th 3 mins the screen does turn off but it also turns off the power button and other lights. Not sure if this is supposed to happen this way.

Another thing I notice is that once the laptop is sleeping, opening the lid does not wake it up, again not sure if this is how it should work.

For the settings in your reply. I was not able to check it on the troublesome setup as I only saw it after I had the HP image loaded. But I did check your options on the present setup and did not find the settings at all.

In Device Manager I do not have the mentioned option.

In registry your mentioned path does not exist on my laptop but I do have "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power" again no key with the name AwayModeEnable.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

HP Recommended

Thank you for keeping me posted

Opening the Lid should wake up the Notebook from sleep mode if the settings are correct

Please refer to the troubleshooting steps in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03383935

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KT, Thanks again for your reply. I have checked the link you sent and it asks to check if the keyboard is allowed to wake the computer in power management. I have followed the steps suggested and do not find any power management tab for my listed keyboard in device manager.

I believe my laptop does not wake when the lid is opened cause its not in sleep mode, instead its into hibernation. thus pressing the power button wakes it up to the state where it was left.

I think I can list my questions in the below points to make sure we dont skip any, and we make sure that I expectation is correct.

1> When the display turns off the power button light turns off. My expectation is that the power button light should remain on when the display turns off as the laptop is still on.

2> When the laptop goes to sleep the power button light is off. My expectation is that the power button light should blink and not turn off when the laptop is in sleep mode. The power button light should only turn off when the laptop is shutdown or hibernating.

If the above 2 things happen then it makes it easier to determine the state of the laptop visually and confirm if the laptop is behaving as expected.

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping me posted

Try disabling hybrid sleep in Windows

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03383935

Also delete all pre created power plans and create a new one

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.