Did you mean: 
greeng13
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP G61-429WM Notebook PC turns on no screen

HP G61-429WM Notebook PC

Turns on.  Fan is running.  Hard drive is running.   Black screen.  No beeps...Blinking LEDs at Caps Lock and by Num Pad.  Blink in unison one time and the 3-4 seconds later blink in unison and so on.  Originally thought CPU was the problem and left her for dead.  I just replaced the CPU with an Athlon II (should be OK on this MOBO).  Same issue.  No luck with an external VGA.  All it does is black screen (it doesn't have the "rainbow display" as if nothing is connected--just black).  I've tried the hard re-boot.  I've tried the pressing windows+B+power button...nothing works...I've re-checked the RAM seating as well.  The Wi-Fi Button is also constantly illuminated orangeish color.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in adavnce!

3 REPLIES 3
greeng13
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I should also I add that I had just updated this system to Windows 10 (7 was installed).  Original problem occurred about 6 months ago and she had been turnng off a lot on her own (probably overheating).  I have another laptop so I had left this one to die but after taking an A+ repair course I "grew a pair" and decided to replace the CPU.  I did use new thermal paste BTW.  The external VGA does work with other laptop so that is not the issue

0 Kudos
Amankumarsingh
Level 2
15 15 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi buddy,
I just went through your post and would like to say it is definitely a issue with the processor so replacing CPU with Athlon 2 won't help replace the processor with the same brand a model of the processor with which the computer came
Because if the processor is incompatible then it is as good as having no processor.

Thanks
0 Kudos
greeng13
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, if I replace it back to A Sempron it would be OK? Somehow that doesn't seem right.... I'm thinking maybe it's the chipset... I would think that any new processor supported by the mobo would work, no? It is in the list of upgrades for this system.
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-processor-of-hp-g61-...
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation