Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-db0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I am using the computer it freezes for several seconds and then blue screens with the error message video tdr failure atikmpag.sys. I do not know what causes this as I have reinstalled and updated the drivers several times. Normally blue screens every 30 minutes or so, however it might start getting more frequently.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@hueflungusblung

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are getting a blue screen with atikmpag.sys error on your notebook.

Before we troubleshoot, here's some information to help you understand the blue screen error message that begins with STOP: 0x000000116 is due to video card or video driver related issues. 

  

Since you've already attempted to reinstall drivers and download the catalyst center multiple times, 

I'll get straight to the point: 

  

Go to C:windows/drivers/atikmpag.sys and just deleted the (.sys) file. 

Once done, restart the computer and download the latest drivers for your computer: Click here

You may also try this if you aren't satisfied with the results: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool 

  

Run a hardware test on the graphics card using the diagnostics tool to ensure this isn't a hardware issue: Click here 

Let me know if that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just to be clear do you want me to delete the atikmpag.sys file?

Also the file is under Windows/System32 instead of drivers is that ok?

HP Recommended

@hueflungusblung

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Follow every step, one at a time:  

Step 1: Download and install the latest ATi graphic driver AND DONT TURN OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AFTER INSTALLATION  

Step 2: Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename atikmpag.sys to atikmpag.sys.old.  

Step 3: Go to ati directory (usually in C:\ATI) and find the file atikmpag.sys.  

Step 4: Copy the file to your Desktop directory.  

Step 5: Open cmd.exe by going to Start -> type cmd in the search box and hit enter.  

Step 6: Change the directory to Desktop by typing chdir Desktop.  

Step 7: Then, type EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmpag.sys. Or,  

expand -r atikmpag.sy_ atikmpag.sys  

Step 8: When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmpag.sys from your Desktop to  

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers  

Step 9: Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.  

   

I also found this video on YouTube that should help: Click here (atikmpag.sys - also mentioned as atikmdag.sys) 

(The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond by support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions) 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Getting-flickering-black-screen-and-th... 

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same post a Kudos.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks for replying again, I have installed all of the new drivers but on step 2 the only atikmpag.sys in my pc is under C:/Windows/System32/DriverStore. When I try to rename that one it says you need permission to perform this action then prevents me from renaming it.

HP Recommended

@hueflungusblung

Thanks for writing back to us.

Change a user account type on Control Panel

1. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Control Panel.
  2. Click Change account type.

3. Click the user account you want to change.
  4. Click Change the account type.

5. Select Standard or Administrator.
  6. Click the Change Account Type button to complete the task.

Let me know if that helps.

If this helps, please mark the public post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others and please give the same public post a Kudos for my efforts to help.
Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying but my account is already in administrator. Also apparently I have two atikmpag.sys files?

HP Recommended

@hueflungusblung

Thanks for the response.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. atikmpag.sys only in "devicestore" folder. What is the solution?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.