05-19-2019 09:32 PM - edited 05-19-2019 09:33 PM
HP Beats Laptop 15-p390nr shuts down spontaneously when on battery power.
Windows 10 (64bit) OS
HP Drivers are up to date
BIOS has been updated to latest version (F.46 REV A)
Windows updates are current.
Battery Test SAT.
Monitored battery charge state versus time after removal of adaptor power. Shutdown occurred after 6 min 10sec with 91% battery state.
05-21-2019 05:59 AM
Are you using an HP genuine battery and AC adapter?
Have you tried checking with a different battery?
Were there any recent windows update on the PC?
Is the laptop overheating?
Try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.
Disable Fast Startup
Right-click Start and open Power Options.
In Power Options settings click on Choose what the powers buttons do option in the left panel.
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable option.
Under Shut down settings, remove the tick from Turn on fast startup (recommended).
Click OK to save the changes.
1. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Power Options".
2. Click on "Change plan settings", next to the plan you are using.
3. Now click "Change advanced power settings".
4. Here you are going to want to check all the options to make sure that nothing is set to make the device turn off or sleep when you don't want it to.
5. Once you have made all your changes, click "Apply" and then "OK" and restart the computer.
Run Power Troubleshooter.
On Cortana, enter Troubleshooter then select Troubleshooting.
Click Improve power usage to open the window, then click Next.
This should run the troubleshooter and can fix any detected issues. You may try restarting your computer and charge your battery again.
Lastly, Try running a battery test from HP support assistant.
Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant. Click Here
Let me know how it goes!
Take Care! 🙂
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee
05-21-2019 10:16 PM
After my last reply and having taken all recommended actions including altering the power settings as recommended recoducted input power remoal test. Computer spontaneous shutdown occurred at 3 min 17 sec after going on battery power with battery state at 100%. Issue still exists. Only recommendation not performed is switching out the battery.
05-21-2019 10:31 PM
I replied earlier but apparently it did not get logged successfully
- Battery pack is OEM HP Genuine battery pack that came with the new computer (1 yrs old)
- Battery AC adapter charger is OEM Genuine AC adapter, shudowns do not occur when iput power is present, AC adapter charges battery SAT
- HP Assistant Battery Test is SAT
- Have not tried new battery, will exhaust software/driver compatibility options prior to purchase of a new pack
- WIN10 update history is normal, apparently this has been happening since shortly after purchase
- Laptop is not overheating, fan speed is normal/low. Vent ports are clear, no residue obstrctions in fan heat exchanger plates
Have performed the follwing to attempt to resolve based on read of simliar type of articles:
- updated bios to latest version (prior to original post)
- Completed reinstallation of all system drivers from the HP page for this model computer (HP 15-p390nr)
- updated JAVA to latest version (prior to original post)
- disabled FAST STARTUP (per your recommendation)
- reset power options for power button/sleep/and hibernate states to NEVER (per your recommendation)
After completing all recommdnations (except swap battery pack) problem is still present. Please advise.
05-22-2019 02:03 PM - edited 05-22-2019 02:03 PM