Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop - 17z-ca200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a custom built 17z-ca200. I've had it for about a month. A few days ago, both the Edge and Chrome browsers started freezing/locking up, and going black. I have to control alt delete to shut them down. Rebooting doesn't help because it starts again once I've rebooted. The only software I've installed since getting the laptop is Steam and Civ 6. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@melanie6602

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Since the issue occurs on both Browsers it's likely to be an OS issue

I suggest you try reinstalling Chrome Browser and also run the SFC Scan Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Keep me posted

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@melanie6602

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

Since the issue occurs on both Browsers it's likely to be an OS issue

I suggest you try reinstalling Chrome Browser and also run the SFC Scan Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Keep me posted

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried all those steps and the scan did find some errors and fixed them. Right now, the browser seems to be working fine, no black screen or freezing. If anything changes I'll come back to this post.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I'm glad you got this sorted out

Drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I spoke too soon. It worked fine for the first day after I did the scan. The next day, Edge was going black and freezing after just a few seconds on Facebook. And as far as I can tell, Facebook is the only site where it happens. I haven't tried Chrome yet again, I haven't reinstalled it yet. 

HP Recommended

@melanie6602

I recommend you reinstall the Chrome browser and check whether it works fine on the Chrome browser.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I reinstalled Chrome and Facebook goes black on Chrome. I tried Firefox and the same thing, Facebook goes black and locks up the browser. My laptop hates Facebook which is kind of understandable, haha. But I would still like to be able to visit it.

HP Recommended

@melanie6602

I recommend you contact the Facebook support team as all the other websites are working fine. It looks like some issue with your account and they will be able to assist you in this regard.

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Okay, I think I fixed it. I updated the video drivers and so far, so good. Facebook doesn't black out and the whole computer seems to be a little faster. If that didn't fix it, I'll come back to this thread. But for now, I think it's good.

HP Recommended

I had a similar issue. And you are right. The problem is with the Video driver. I bet also, that if you went to Security and Maintenance under Control Panel and checked View Reliability History, you would have seen a message showing a Hardware error. The problem is the video driver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.