Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-da1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello 

I bought a new laptop in 2019 and it has a lot of lag

pls read this and reply

SPECS:

Total memory : 4 GB

Processor name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JOSEPH31 

With a Win10 PC, you're almost always going to experience a very slow PC at times because Windows Update (WU) is hogging your PC, searching for, downloading, and installing updates -- to bring your PC up to the most current version of Windows.

If you reset your PC, you only made matters WORSE! Why? Because you reset Win10 back to the original version that came preloaded on the PC and that restarted Windows Update all over again.

To find out what version and build of Win10 your PC is running, do the following:
1) enter "cmd" (without the quotes) into the search area and select the Command Prompt option
2) enter "winver" into the command window (again, without the quotes)
3) the most current Win10 is v1809 Build 17763.316

If yours is older than that, most likely WU is hogging your PC trying to update it.

To disable WU temporarily, do the following:
1) Enter "services" in the search area (again, without the quotes)
2) When the window opens, scroll down until you see Windows Update
3) If it say Running under status, that indicates that WU is running
4) To change that, double-click on that task, select Stop under the Service status, and then Apply
5) That should stop WU -- and you should see an immediate improvement in performance

WU will restart itself automatically later on, so you basically have no choice than to bear with it until it finishes.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

There will be any help if i update my ram from 4 to 8 and HD to SSD?

HP Recommended

Is your pc still slow or its ok now? What upgrade you made?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.