cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
abarkans
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

HP OMEN laptop electrocuted me and now it does not turn back on

HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-ce032nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

Just recently I have been working and had to go off my desk to check up on something. When I come back, I put my hand on my computer (as I always do), the case is made of some metal, and as I do so, my laptop electrocutes me and turns off. After that I try to turn it back on, but with no luck.

The power on button lights on, then switches back off, then lights on and then switches off again. 

Usually when laptop turns of I can hear fans spinning a little, but now I do not hear anything at all, except for a very low pitch sound when the button lights up briefly.

What are my options with this and I had never experienced any laptop doing this.... even with metal finishes.

Would love to hear some ideas or suggestions!

Kind regards,
Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,145 7,830
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@abarkans 

This sounds like you got a static shock from the laptop when you touched it.  This can happen if you have carpeting under your desk as that can generate static electricity.  I have plastic mats under my desks -- for this and other reasons.

We are not permitted to make any statements about warranty coverage, so basically, you would have to contact a Service Center to see if they consider this covered under the warranty and then make arrangements to have them diagnose the laptop and fix it.  We can not do this for you.

Since you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/us-en/service-center

If that link does not provide you sufficient information, then use the main HP link:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

I've found those links to be unreliable if you're using Win10 and the new Edge Browser; so if you are, you need to use something else, like FireFox.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,145 7,830
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@abarkans 

This sounds like you got a static shock from the laptop when you touched it.  This can happen if you have carpeting under your desk as that can generate static electricity.  I have plastic mats under my desks -- for this and other reasons.

We are not permitted to make any statements about warranty coverage, so basically, you would have to contact a Service Center to see if they consider this covered under the warranty and then make arrangements to have them diagnose the laptop and fix it.  We can not do this for you.

Since you live outside the U.S., here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: https://support.hp.com/us-en/service-center

If that link does not provide you sufficient information, then use the main HP link:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

I've found those links to be unreliable if you're using Win10 and the new Edge Browser; so if you are, you need to use something else, like FireFox.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation