Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
17-an004no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Symptoms:
When I push the start button it's LED lights up red, the fans starts, I can see a tiny white LED by the AC inlet on the right side.
Nothing else happens. The screen remains completely black. No messages, no blinking leds, no beeps.

I bought the laptop from the previous owner as a "repair object", knowing that it had these problems and I am now trying to fix it.

I have tried what I describe below, but now I have run out of ideas and need some advice.

(Please, only serious answers and no silly comments like "throw it in the waste bin"!)

I have tried the following according to instructions on the HP Support site:

1 - Reboot. Result: As above.

2 - Power Reset. Laptop off, everything including AC chord unplugged. Holding Power button for 15 sek. 

Result: Red LED in the PB lits up for 5 sec. and then turn off. I heard a weak "tick" at the same time the LED turned off. Nothing else.

3 - BIOS Recovery from internal disk. Laptop off, AC attached. Pressing Win + B buttons, then Power button briefly, keeping Win+B down for some additional time.
Result: Red LED in the PB lits up. Nothing else.

4 - BIOS Recovery from external USB stick: Downloaded the BIOS file sp100722.exe from HP Support. Ran the file on another pc and exported to an USB stick.
Laptop off, AC attached. The USB stick attached. Pressing Win + B buttons, keeping Win+B down for 10 minutes.
Result: Red LED in the PB lits up. LED on the USB stick flickers shortly a couple of times. After a couple of minutes there is a brief and weak flash on the screen. Nothing else happens. Screen remains black.

5 - Reset CMOS. Win-V-PB.  Result: The same, black screen.

6 - External display. Attached a TV set to the HDMI port and tried some of the above.  Result: The same, black screen.

7 - Removed and reinserted RAM.  Result:  The same,  black scenen. 

Any ideas?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.