Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone 🙂

A few months ago I decided to Update my Device with the latest Windows Update (H20) and some drivers just to remove the nag.

However, after the (or an) Update, my Omen won't start up any more. (Guess the combination of H20 and drivers were a huge mistake on my part)

I get a Black screen,  left fan working,  right fan starts for a brief moment and stops immediately.

The CapsLock blinks 5 times slow and then 3 times fast.

According to HPs Information this indicates

"The embedded controller times out waiting for the BIOS. "
And: "Remove all accessory devices from the notebook. If the error code persists, contact support for possible repair."

Sadly, this didn't work at all.

Here is a list of what I tried additionally:

- Removed the battery, pressed Power for 30 seconds to discharge, reconnected power supply and tried to start
- Removed, switched, cleaned RAM, M2 and SATA-SSD
- Disconnected the USB controllers, the HDDs and tried with only one RAM at a time
- Created a USB-media with the latest BIOS Firmware and tried to start The Omen with the Key combination(s) windows+b, windows+v, just b, pressing F2 (hold and rapid), pressing ESC (hold and rapid)

Unfortunately nothing worked and thus I am confronted with a beautiful defunc Omen  😞

I mean yeah, there is a small possibility that the system board is damaged (as this could happen anytime right?) BUT:
The odds of this happening right after(or during) the update process are kinda low  😕

Especially regarding the fact that I had NO issues whatsoever with my system aside from a HDD crash during the first 6 or so months and the laptop was never even moved (as I used it more like a desktop PC)

Quick sidenode:
During the aforementioned HDD failure I had to install a new HDD and thus, no Partitions of the original Drive are existent. Maybe that might be a possibility as to why the BIOS recovery didnt work? If so, what could I do about it?

Thank you very much in advance and kind regards 🙂

Adding to my distress: even though HP has a product page for my OMEN,  the there linked manual has no part number for my specific mainboard.

I do really hope, that someone here has some more ideas on how I could safe my Laptop, get into the BIOS-Update sequence, make a factory reset yada yada yada...

Thank you for your time and kind regards.

Stahler

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Continuous blinking laptop caps lock is an issue that is common among many HP laptop users.

A blinking caps lock light on HP laptop means that that there’s something wrong with your power supply which could be coming from your battery, or your HP charger connected to electricity.

A blinking caps lock light also means that you HP laptop vents are clogged with dust and there’s no room for ventilation.

Reasons Why HP Laptop Caps Lock Light Keep Blinking

Faulty chargers are very common and could cause complex problems on your HP laptop.

A faulty charger can send the wrong voltage directly to your laptop which would definitely develop an issue overtime.

If your charger is faulty or you happen to be using the wrong charger for your HP laptop, it’s best you replace your HP charger to avoid permanent damage.

Overheating is one of the most common problems among laptops owners.

It mostly caused by your vent fan not working properly or at all.

However, there are cases where it is caused by dust clogging your vents.

To know if your HP laptop fan vent is working correctly, put your ear closer to the vent and try to listen for a fan noise.

If you get an inconsistent fan noise or no fan noise at all, it means there’s something wrong with your laptop fan and it needs to be fixed.

A simple way to resolve overheating is to get an external cooling fan.

There’s a chance your power outlet is faulty which can cause your charger to send inconsistent power to your laptop.

This is dangerous for not just your HP laptop but for your battery and charger as well.

Try using a different power outlet to see if it helps stop your caps log that is flashing continuously.

How To Fix HP Laptop Caps Lock Blinking Continuously

The first step is to shut down your computer because you are dealing with a hardware issue and nothing to do with software.

Shutting down your computer makes it safe to remove any component attached to your HP laptop.

Trying to remove any component attached to your HP laptop while it’s turned on can damage your laptop.

The second steps involve you removing or disconnecting your battery from your HP laptop.

The reason for this is that you will have to take out some components from your laptop and you can’t do that while your laptop battery is connected.

The third step involves you taking out your ram from its slot.

Here’s how,

Remove your RAM. Remove everything if you have more than one.

3. Wipe your ram with a soft clean cloth.

The fourth step requires you to disconnect the two tiny cables connected to your wireless adaptor from your motherboard.

Put the RAM aside and continue with the next step.

Open your laptop by unscrewing all the screws at the back of your laptop with the right screwdriver.

The fifth step requires you to perform a hard reset on your HP laptop.

Here how,

Simply press and hold your power button for 40 seconds and then release your hand.

Make sure both your RAM and WIFI card is disconnected before performing this hard reset.

For the sixth step, you have to return everything you removed back in place.

Connect your WiFi Card cables first.

Before connecting your RAM back to its slot, blow on to the slots to try to get all the dust out.

Avoid getting your saliva on your motherboard.

After you have tried to get most of the dust out, connect your RAM back to its slot correctly.

Once you have done all the steps correctly, turn on your HP laptop by clicking on the power button once.

There’s a chance that your laptop charger is faulty and is sending the wrong voltage to your HP laptop.

This normally happens when your power socket goes bad and then affects your charger.

You should consider trying a separate HP charger to see if it stops your caps log from blinking or flashing continuously.

Your HP laptop caps lock should stop blinking continuously if you followed my instructions correctly.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer @Charlieltuah1

Unfortunately, most of the things you described were already done by me (see my text bove).

Everything else didn't work either.

Do you have any other idea?

Thanks again and kind regards.

HP Recommended

This might seem like an obvious fix to this issue, but you can try contacting HP Support, they could help to give some tips. Asides from that maybe doing a fresh installation of the Windows 10 operating system.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I don't have any warranty whatsoever.

I can't install Win10 as I can't access the system.
Big problem is, that I can't even find the part number for my system board, as in the manual there are only parts described for the I7-8500H and the I7-8750H,  but not for my I7700H

Guess I'll have to contact support then..even though I doubt they can help me...

Thank you very much and kind regards. 🙂

Have a nice day

HP Recommended

You too and stay safe.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this thoughtful and thorough response. You have saved me a lot of time today!

Believe it or not, the exact same thing happened to me this morning and, like you, I've found no resolution. Also like you, I've had no major hardware changes or incidents of accidental damage to report. I think the ol' girl just up and died.

But kudos to you - I don't think anyone at HP could (or should) expect anyone to do as much troubleshooting as you have to fix this. It's disappointing for sure. Good luck to you!

HP Recommended

Hi again,

For what it's worth, I was able to get my HP omen up and running again by switching out the CMOS battery (CR2032, $1 battery) which was located (in)conveniently underneath the motherboard on my model. Surely enough, after switching out that battery my machine powered on with all of my data intact. I'm excited to see how much more time I get with this cheap fix.

Good luck again!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your kind words, I really appreciate that. 

Iirc I read somewhere that my Omen model was one of the "newer" ones that don't have a cmos battery. 

But for what it's worth, I will just try to open it up again, remove every component and try to locate one. 

I mean, it can't get worse as it is right now, so nothing to loose ;D

Thank you very much and have a nice day 🙂 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.