Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 17-cb0006na  Laptop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OMEN by HP 17-cb0006na  Laptop PC

In Warranty: Ends April 13, 2021

Months remaining: 7

Product Number: 7DT12EA

I am the end of my rope here - The laptop keeps randomly freezing up, crashing and going into reboot with no apparent reason or no particular trigger, whether on main power or running off the battery. There is no BSOD or overheating issue.  See video below.

I've done absolutely everything suggested by HP's customer care and tech support - from changing power options to slow down my CPU to reinstalling Windows completely, and guess what - even with the fresh installation and CPU temperatures being under 80C at all times, it still locks up, makes a sound as if it short-circuited, and then crashes completely, presenting me with the Omen logo and boot screen  - see video
I cleaned the fans with compressed air, it was on a cooling pad at all times, it is not an overheating issue. It is not a Windows issue either and UEFI checks all show as "passed" , meaning the components are healthy. Updated BIOS to the latest version, brought all of the drivers up to date, completely reinstalled GPU driver from scratch, switched to HP recommended power plan, reinstalled Windows, nothing helped.

I even ran a test where I didn't have a single cable in any of the ports, just the laptop running from it's own battery AND EVEN THEN IT FROZE UP AND REBOOTED, a day after fresh Windows install. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsmMH_sP_g8

Happens every 10 minutes on battery and every 30 - 90 minutes on mains, rendering the laptop completely unusable.

HP, FOR THE LOVE OF IT, accept the responsibility and the fact that it short circuits and RMA the unit, because I've done every single thing suggested by your staff and because your cases and tickets are decentralised, they keep on suggesting same things over and over.
I have lost countless hours that could be used for video editing and online streaming, which is already causing me a monetary loss. I lost out on even more time not sleeping and researching for possible solution. Either solve the problem, or this will be my first and the last HP product I ever bought.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update:

Last night another one of those random / unexpected reboots has fried wireless chip. As soon as it booted up, I could not access Internet anymore and the WiFi module is gone from the list of hardware / components.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Update:

Last night another one of those random / unexpected reboots has fried wireless chip. As soon as it booted up, I could not access Internet anymore and the WiFi module is gone from the list of hardware / components.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.